Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Duh!

My mother worried.

I think that perhaps I inherited it from her.  She used to worry about anything and most of the time I pooh poohed her worrying and told her not to worry.  I think it was a family thing as I seem to remember my Aunt Jean worrying also,
but I don't remember many others worrying.

Anyway I worry.  I worry about things that are going to happen, that may happen, that aren't going to happen but I know better.

However

when it comes to my car I am sure there is something expensive going to go wrong with it.

Now get this.  My car is relatively new and there is nothing wrong with it but every time I get into it I worry that some fool is going to turn left in front of me and we will crash.  There is precedence for that as we were coming back from Minnesota and that actually happened.  No one was hurt and we got through it.  But I still worry about it.

The latest turned out to be not only a worry for four days but eventually was a DUH!

I got in my car when I was driving my sister back and forth to work and I noticed that when I turned the wheel to go into a parking place the car would "jump" and it was not smooth.  Well I began to worry about it. I fussed about it in my head for the entire week-end and tried to figure out how I was going to get it down to be fixed and go to my appointments on Monday and Tuesday and go to the grocery store and besides it was Thanksgiving week and that would mean that the garage would be closed on Thursday and besides having to give up the car it would probably cost me $1000 or more to get it fixed (I had transmission problems on the Jeep).  Well anyway I finally bit the bullet and called Shaffer's Auto body and described the problem to the nice man who answered the phone.

You also have to realize that I did take Driver's Education and they told us about the basics of engines etc. but that was in 1957 and I was 16 years old...and I have forgotten everything I learned except how to drive and watch out for other cars.

As I said I described the problem and he said it sounded to him like I might have the four-wheel drive on. I said DUH and thanked him and told him I might still have to come down if I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

That afternoon I went out to the car to go meet a friend for lunch and I pulled the "Book" out of the glove box and looked up 4-wheel drive.  It was on page 29-2 and I found out where on the dashboard the control for the 4-wheel drive was and sure enough it was set on 4-wheel so I reset it and the problem was solved and the worry went away and I was happy again.

So in the future I shall remember Bobby McFerrin's little song.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I worry about my car a lot, every squeak sounds like sure death to me

glad the car is OK

hugs

Ur-spo said...

Not to be worrying - it's our family motto.