Tuesday, November 19, 2013

What we don't see

This is Emily's tree. Or rather the tree in front of the house where Emily used to live. It is impressive.
 I have driven past it hundreds of time as I taught school in a school about two blocks west of here. And yet until the other day I had never noticed its magnificence.  Look closely at the sweeping branches. They look like it is involved in a dance with arms and legs balancing in the air. Or perhaps it is a dragon doing the dance of the hours.
 As you get closer you can see that it is a tree of history. the trunk is gnarled and full of character.  Focus in.  Can you see an antelope head balancing on its chin?
 I think you could spend hours looking at this work of nature's art.
 Looking towards the west it looks sort of like a monster with one arm raised with a scythe ready to strike off your head. (That is Andy's House in the Background.)
 What an amazing story this tree has to tell. It should be in a museum.
Alas, I did not feel comfortable getting out of the car to circle the tree so the back side remains a mystery.  I wonder if Emily climbed the tree when she lived there.  Emily is married now and lives in Massachusetts.  According to Facebook she is the Head of Educational Exhibitions at deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum· Lincoln, Massachusetts  Perhaps the tree would fit in Emily's Museum?
Continuing North on Franklin Ave I get to the Oakland intersection.  I suppose that the name Oakland is appropriate as there are a lot of Oak trees on the street.  Majestic, stately, colorful awesome.
Turning right to head East you will see the view below.
There are a lot of beautiful homes along this street and many of my former students lived in these homes. When I used to drive this street daily I was either hurrying to get to school or home after a full day and I had other things on my mind.  On this day I took my time and enjoyed things I had not seen before.
Of course it has to be a certain time of year to see this color but the bush was a stand out and I enjoyed spotting and photographing it.
When the leaves fall the branches of the trees become visible and their patterns are endlessly fascinating. These two are dancing the Tangle.
And of course, there are the evergreens which peak through the brush.
And again some bright color which stands out against the rusty brown of a house.
This tree asks Y am I standing here.
And I love these evergreen trees.
Lacy, etherial and mystical -  What we don't ordinarily see.  There for the looking.

2 comments:

Harpers Keeper said...

Beautiful photos. Thanks

Ur-spo said...

I love old trees; so much better than young saplings seen nowadays.