Wednesday, November 20, 2013

This 'N That

 When I look at this picture the only thing that comes to mind is Frick and Frack which is defined by the Urban Dictionary as - Two people, usually 

employees of a company, 

who are deemed to be 

incompetent, lazy, or 

wasting time continuously 

by doing things other 

than working.

Actually Frick and Frack were two Swiss skaters who came to the U.S. in 1937 and joined the original Ice Follies show as comedy ice skaters. They were actually very talented and competent (unlike the two in the meme above) and very few skaters were able to duplicate their routines. Here is a sample of their work.




Former Ames Art Teacher who is also retired sent me several pictures of flowers she has grown.  She lives up in the Mt. Rushmore area now.  We used to eat out together once in awhile and I miss having her around.
The collection will all embiggen if you click on the pictures I love roses and it was really nice to get the e-mail with the flowers attached. I hope she doesn't mind that I shared them with you.



 Michael Libbe had this video up on Facebook. The song was written by Jamie Reno who was the son of Walt Reno who was a radio and television personality around here in the late 60's and early 70's.  I had a nice Facebook chat with him to get permission to use it on Iowa Vistas Blog (a work in progress) and it was nice to remember Walt with him.


Found this on Facebook and I liked the sentiment.
I have been having fun with a "War on Thanksgiving" theme and every time someone posts something about Christmas I accuse them of waging a War on Thanksgiving.  You see Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Halloween is a fun holiday and starts the Holiday Season.  I always liked the Christmas to New Years break and I think the thing I liked the most about Christmas was being able to get and give gifts to my family.  Alas the family stopped giving gifts several years ago (after I had already purchased their gifts they told me they weren't exchanging gifts any more so I gave them to other people) and I started working the Jerry Marsengill Holiday dinner in Des Moines that the Masons did every year. Even though I am not Jewish I enjoy their holidays that come during this time also.

I grew up in a mostly secular family. Mother made sure I went to church but the family observance was to get together and eat a large meal.  Thanksgiving was always special to me. I think the whole idea of saying Thank You appeals to me.  I could (as some are doing) list the things I am grateful for but instead I shall "ponder them in my heart" rather than publish day after day of things I am grateful for.  I guess I am most grateful for the chance to have lived a mostly satisfying life for 72 years with friends and family who allowed me to love them and who loved me in return.  I think the whole idea of love is in our being to show us what God is.  That is really enough to be grateful for. Oh yes and I am grateful for each and every one of you who stop by here to see what I have put up.  I hope you enjoy it.

No comments: