Saturday, May 10, 2014

Pelicans stop over in Iowa. Photos by Bob Kelly

Every spring pelicans stop over for several weeks in Iowa, until it gets too hot for them. They love sandbars on rivers or lakes.  These photos were taken on Friday, May 9, 2014, below the Des Moines River dam, near Fraser, Iowa.  There was a flock of about 200 pelicans enjoying the water, the sand bars, and the fish!

Hangin out on the sand bar.

"There goes the three stooges!" 
 "Hmmm....go ahead big bird, land here."

 The flock gossip is second from the left!

 Incoming!

 Gliding up into the blue.

 Two depart to go fishing.

  "See how I walk on water, before I am airborne!"

 Up and away!

 Slowly gaining altitude.

  "What you looking at birdie???"

 Cruisin down the river.....on a Friday afternoon!

 The flock sentry keeps an eye on things.

 "I love thinking this river is all mine!"

 "See my distinctive black feathers when I rise up like this. 
Don't laugh, this took lots of practice!"

 Fishing below the dam.

 "OK, everyone ready....dive!"

 "Here fishy, fishy!"

 "This looks like fun, think I will drop in and join ya!"

"Look what I can do!!"

3 comments:

Ur-spo said...

I did not know pelicans visited iowa.

Bob Kelly said...

The operative word is "visit." They stop over for awhile to rest and fish, and as it gets warmer in May they move farther north for cooler weather. They are fun to see during the short time they are here!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the series! I forwarded it to my mom, the bird watcher!
Lyn