Monday, September 13, 2010

Public Art in Ames

Because Miles is going to be groomed today I will hold off on "Miles on Monday" until he gets back - In the meantime here is something I did yesterday.

As I was leaving HyVee on Sunday I saw this. Can you recognize what it is from this picture?
Fortunately I got a better photo. This was originally a wood sculpture with sticks out the back representing hair. Over the years it deteriorated and someone decided to have it re-done in metal. I am glad because I always liked it.
My city has many public art around the downtown area. This is technically a memorial for Veterans and those who gave their lives in service to our country including police and fire but it is beautiful and to my way of thinking a real artwork.
As you move along Fifth Street towards the city hall you can see this whimsical little dragon sitting in a space that would otherwise just be blank. The people responsible for the Art are to be commended for placing many, many pieces around our city.
Well I screwed up. I deleted a picture. But to be honest that is all right as it is just the mirror of the one above. One on the south and one on the north of the entrance to the City Hall. The City Hall is the former Ames High School and then it was the Junior High School. It works well as a City Hall and has the Auditorium, gymnasium and the Council Chamber is the former library. It is a well built building and the city did a good thing to keep it and use it instead of demolishing it.
These brick structures are all along Fifth Street. They are on each corner and have plaques of important Ames History scenes.
The one above commemorates the original name of what is now Main Street. You can probably read it if you embiggen the picture. Onondoga (Until 1910, Main Street was named Onondaga after the county in New York state where pioneerCynthia Duff once lived)
The building behind this fountain was the City Hall when I was a kid. Now it serves the more useful purpose as the headquarters of the Youth and Shelter Services. The fountain was given to the Center by the Belitsos family in honor of George Belitsos who is the driving force behind this wonderful agency. Here is the story of why Icarus is the icon of YSS.
As you head South on Burnett Street you come to this tile wall. It is there to keep people from driving into the Tom Evans Park which was made from the last block of the street. The building in the back is Lucillan's Restaurant which is owned by two of my friends.
This is the art work in front of their restaurant.
Kitty corner from their restaurant is Everts flowers. A flower art work sits on that corner.
As you walk (or in this case drive) down Main you see this spiral on a checkerboard. I imagine that if I were out walking I could see something with the name of the Artwork or the artist on these.
Even the planters with plants are a form of public art. I think the name of the store behind them fits.
At the corner of Main and Kellog we have four towers of light which are lit at night.
If you look carefully you see that the cut outs on the bottom are wrenches. An interesting use of an everyday object. I also like the base. I think they have a feel of Egypt about them
On down the block we have three feathers (or at least that is what they look like to me)
And a little stubby Darth Vader guy. Frank Osdoba perhaps??
Yet another rusty statue. The Art people responsible for theses seem to like rust. So do I.
Just below is a spinner at the Electrical plant. I took a little movie of it which may or may not work . It will be at the bottom of the post.
Here is the movie of the spinner. I hope it works.
As I left I saw this by the stop sign. I was going to look on the other side but forgot. then looked up and saw the sky. You know me. I have to have a sky shot.
Then I went to the Bandshell park where they have band concerts in the summer. People come from all over to listen
In the park is a beautiful tribute to the Arts placed by Pat and Doug Brown. Someday I am going to park the car and walk up to get a closer look.

Over at the entrance of the library is a garden spot that someone maintains. I think the people who take care of these spaces should be honored for their service and for making our world more beautiful
Another of the Brick Street Signs.
Some folks were enjoying the little park at 9th and Douglas. It has some art in it also. And it is well planted with interesting greenery.
The same piece from a different perspective.
Then I turned around and took these pictures of a couple of houses in this neighborhood. This is the house Nick Nolte lived in when he was in grade school in Ames. Nick's Wikipaedia article fails to mention the fact that he went to Beardshear school in Ames and was in the same classroom as your Blogger. I remember him but doubt that he remembers me.
Anyway I love this street and the person who owns these homes (now apartments) has done a good job keeping them up. Nick's mother Helen was the most glamorous woman I ever knew and I think I was half in love with her.
And one more thing about public art. Even a granite boulder placed in the right spot can be art.

No comments: