Monday, September 27, 2010

Quote of the Day

Stephen Colbert testifying before Congress:

"I like talking about people who don't have any power, and it seems like one of the least powerful people in the United States are migrant workers who come in and do our work, but don't have any rights as a result. And yet, we still ask them to come here, and at the same time, ask them to leave. And that's an interesting contradiction to me, and um... You know, "whatsoever you did for the least of my brothers," and these seemed like the least of my brothers, right now. A lot of people are "least brothers" right now, with the economy so hard, and I don't want to take any one's hardship away from them or diminish it or anything like that. But migrant workers suffer, and have no rights."
Some in Congress (like Iowa's Steve King) didn't get what it was all about. More shame them.

1 comment:

Lemuel said...

I found the reaction of some (that Colbert's testimony was embarrassing) to be quite amusing. They meant that Colbert embarrassed himself. My take was that Colbert (in addition to making some serious points about the subject through his brand of humor [which I will admit is not my favorite]) demonstrated and pointed out what an embarrassment Congress and Congressional hearings are to *themselves*. Only they and their minions did not get it. They never do (or did). It is why the court jester was allowed to live.