Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Observations


On Sunday when I went to the airport to pick up my aunt I got to do one of my favorite things.  I got to watch people.  I have always enjoyed watching people and their interactions with one another and especially in airport waiting rooms.  As I walked into the (being remodeled) waiting area I saw an entire row of chairs taken up by a group of people who were obviously from a Middle Eastern Country. Obviously because of the women wearing shawls which covered their hair (but they were wearing jeans and other western clothing) and of course they were speaking Arabic. They had a couple of little kids with them who were having a blast.  I winked at one of them and he winked back.. Well sort of little kids don't always know how to wink. but he tried.

Then I went on up and sat where I would see my aunt when she came down.  As I sat there I saw a woman with long dirty blonde hair tight jeans and cowboy boots.  If she had been younger she might have been described as "hot" but instead she was in her late 50's and you would describe her as "rough"  she was pacing slowly, limping and talking on one of those ubiquitous cell phones that everyone seems to have. Hers was red with a flip model.

Next I watched a family of four saying good-bye to grandma and grandpa.  The littlest girl had a pink tote on wheels.  She thought Grandma was going with her.  The older kids seemed bored. Grandma and Grandpa were the parents of the mother as the photography session was directed by them while the dad stood in the background watching the proceedings and smiling when told to. I had a feeling that they were going overseas as I saw a passport in the mother's hand.  Pictures taken and family on the way to the concourse and the pat downs.  Then I watched as the group of 10 came up.  Three women and men and a couple of kids and the folks they were seeing off. Hugs and kisses on both cheeks for everyone.  It reminded me of the way the Egyptians said hello and good-bye.

Another observation this week-end was watching the NBC reporter Richard Engel who was in the middle of the Square surrounded by what seemed like a million cheering young Egyptians who had just tossed our the dictator.  He was reporting, translating and talking to them.  What struck me the most was the absolute love in his eyes for these people.  I think the reason he did such a good job reporting these events is because he genuinely cares for the people he is reporting on. He was there beside them, enjoying the moment, you might say reveling in it and it showed. The expression on his face told the whole story.

From June 15 to July 22, 1976  I was in Egypt and Greece.  At the end of that trip I wrote this:

"This trip has been a wonderful experience
If it has taught me anything it is this -
All mankind is alike
People are basically good and beautiful.
The differences between people are minimal.
The world needs a common language.
We must learn to work together.

Love is the basic expression of humanity.
I am a citizen of the world!

And just for fun here is a picture from 1976



Thanks for stopping by, Cherish one another, Hugs.

3 comments:

Anna said...

We were all Egyptian for a while, weren't we? It makes a person proud to see the people demanding change- and getting it!

My mother went to Egypt when she was in college and she would like to go again, just to see how it has changed. She was there before Mubarak came into power.

kenju said...

I have wanted to go there since I was about 5 years old, but it will probably never happen. Love your lotus flowers at the top.

Ur-spo said...

I enjoyed your post; thank you for writing it.
The Texas woman I see all the time.