Thursday, February 3, 2011

This 'n That

They want in

Well if the groundhog is right we should have an early spring. But according to what I read he is only right 39% of the time. So the little guys in the photo above may be around for awhile.  They got to my door but my snow shoveling guy came and sent them away.

Even though he shoveled me out I did not leave the house today (or yesterday)  I have been glued to the  events in Egypt.  It is sickening to see violence escalate over there.  I had such a wonderful time when I was there in 1976,  The majority of the people I met were warm and wonderful and I fell in love with them and their culture.  I was struck however with the poverty.  I still see a little girl in a thin dress standing in a doorway which had a cloth as the only door.  She was a pretty little thing with sort of a woebegone look about her and there were flies around her eyes.  It was not someplace you would want to live.  There was a lot of poverty and then of course, there were the wealthy people who were decrying the status of Cairo which they said used to be the "Paris of the middle East" -  They had money and knew how to spend it.

The disparity between the rich and the poor is what has led them to this situation.  I just read that most of the aid which goes to Egypt does not help the people there - it comes back to American Corporations who make the tear gas and the armaments.  Things are screwed up.
 Speaking of screwed up things.  The above picture is Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. After the storm Tuesday/Wednesday everything was stranded.  That is why I stayed home.  It is not that bad here but I have difficulty walking on rough snow and it is very cold outside.  Even Miles goes out and does his business and comes right back in. Bailey just whines and when I open the door he looks outside and comes right back in.
 This is not Miles,  It is my friend Kevin's dog.  He loves being outside in this weather.  I guess he had been outside for 15 minutes before Gina could get him to come in and she took this picture and sent it to Kevin who shared it with me.  My  feelings about Winter are in the photo below.
Have a nice Thursday everyone.  I may not go out today either. Nowhere I "have" to go and it is cheaper that way.

No comments: