Sunday, February 20, 2011

This 'n That

 The other day I watched the movie Centurion on Netflix which was about the disappearance of the Ninth (Spanish) Roman Legion in Northern Britain.  I enjoyed it - probably because I was watching it an home and did not have much else to do that night. It was not what I would call a great film.  Sort of a "chase flick" set in ancient times.


I did not know that the Ninth was going to be featured in another movie which I would see when I ordered the Netflix movie but today I went to see The Eagle.




The Eagle is also about the Legion which was supposed to have disappeared (there is doubt as to the facts of the case.)  And it is also a "chase film"  In the Centurion which takes place when the Ninth was destroyed the chase is about getting the bodies of the Roman Leaders back from those who destroyed the Legion.  In The Eagle it is about retrevial of the Roman Eagle which was the standard of the Legion and had been captured.


Romans did not like to have their Eagles lost.


You can search all over the Internet to read about the Romans and the Legions and how they operated.  The movies were just OK.  I did enjoy them but they are not going to stay on my list of best movies...(as if I had one) and they have not gotten great reviews. 


What I remember most is arriving at the theater and waiting in one line for the ticket. Then in another line for the pop corn and diet coke while some very slow people made up their minds about what they wanted.  


After the move I went over to Borders to celebrate the fact that we are not going to lose our Borders Books here in Ames and to see if they had the next book in the series of books that I have just finished #2.  The computer said they had two but we could not find them so I ordered it and purchased two other books to read.  When I went to make the purchase I had to stand in line while the clerk tried to figure out how much was left on a gift card.  She finally had to call for help and they got it entered and found out there was $1.26 left on the card and then once she asked them if they wanted to apply it to their bill (why wouldn't they?) she had to enter all the numbers again. Fortunately the second clerk took over another register and I was second in line.  She helped the guy in front of me and then me and was working on the third person before the other clerk had finished with her original customer. Perhaps she was new.  In the meantime the line had snaked all the way to the end of the designated line and was about to spill over into the regular store.


Then I decided to go to Bee Bops to get some chili for supper.  I pulled in and there was a van in front of me and the woman was taking her own sweet time deciding on what she wanted.  She took quite awhile and when I got to the speaker I was kindly informed that they did not have any Chili.  So I decided to leave and go somewhere else.  I went to Wendy's.  Seems like it was my destiny to wait in a slow line today.  But I enjoyed the movie and the new book grabbed me on page one and I am enjoying this first novel by Deborah Hawkings.  


Thanks for stopping by,  Hugs, j

No comments: