Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Murder


 I was driving home the other evening and I noticed a great murder of crows on someone's lawn.  It reminded me of a poem I wrote several years ago.  I forgot about it by the time I got home.


Then I was watching Nature about two lion sisters and they had some crows on it also so that was twice.  Then I remembered reading this article on line about how the crows are more numerous than usual and I figured that it was time to trot out the poem.  I hope you enjoy it.  I had fun writing it (I wrote it in a Staff Meeting at Fellows School which was particularly boring.)


I call it


The Crow Convention


The crows have convened across the way.
Big black birds crowousing with each other.


Hanging out with their crownies.
Strutting around
Chris, Charlie, Carlton, Clarence, and Chip.
Yakking, poking, grabbing and crowoperating.


They’re holding a convention to decide who will be crowned
King of the Crows!


They debate, deliberate and finally designate a leader.
But, as with humans, EGO gets in the way and no one is really chosen.


At the end of the day they fly away to their night homes –


Tomorrow they will convene again – unless it is a Sunday
when they will congregate.
FYI - A group of crows is called a flock or a murderbecause the group will sometimes kill a dying crow.
Recent research has found some crow species capable not only of tool use but of tool construction as well. Crows are now considered to be among the world's most intelligent animals. (Source Wikipedia)  More of my poetry here.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

I like the poem a lot

I love crows, they look bad ass
and I love calling it a murder of crows
they clean up a lot of trash around here

Bob Kelly said...

I know the poem about crows had a much longer lasting effect than did the meeting at Fellows! I love the word crowoperating!

Ur-spo said...

Ravens is smarter !

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

They are???