Saturday, December 3, 2011

This 'n That

  In our world and indeed for thousands of years the Bible has been elevated to almost a God in and of itself.  People seem to worship it rather than God and some people call it the inerrant word of God.  The problem is that is was written by men.  Men who had something to gain by telling a story in a certain way.

This book by Bishop John Shelby Spong takes the mystique away from this book and places it in a perspective that allows the believer and the non-believer both to better understand the book.

To begin with the Bible is not history. It is rather the telling of the Jewish religious story and it goes from a vengeful tribal God to one who embraces the entire world as Love.  It is a story not just for the Jewish people but one for the entire world and Bishop Spong takes all of the mystery and superstition out of the Bible and gives us an understanding of the book for today.  This is one of those books which I will keep and re-read and reference it over and over.  I highly recommend the book. It made me a better Christian by having read it.

I have been a General Hospital watcher for years.  There are a few things I am liking about it right now.  Just a few.  I am very grateful that I have a DVR and can record it and fast forward through much of it. I am through watching "Sonny"  - I just don't care about him. He is a thug after all with no redeeming characteristics.  The writers would like you to believe that he loves his children but it is all about control.  If he does anything for anyone it is because he wants something from them.  And the actor playing him half the time just phones in the performance.  As for Lulu and Dante, I am so ready for them to be over and done with.. She is also a controlling person..Perhaps that is why she doesn't like Sonny that much.

Luke is getting a raw deal, Elizabeth is delusional and headed for a fall.  Perhaps she will go nuts and have to go to the mental hospital,  Then Lucky can be stuck raising the kids.  You know I could go on and on about this crappy show and the only reason I still watch it is habit.  Perhaps it is time to break that one.

I hesitate to mention anything about health on here but I have been dealing with something that my doctor says is "going around" -  Suffice it to say he suggested Imodium AD to solve the problem. It seems to help but that is the reason I have been staying close to home.  I have a meeting on Saturday.  With luck I will get through it with no problem.

Miles is staying with me for awhile.  Jon is doing some Cadet teaching and working on papers and classes and is not able to be home much so he gets to visit Bailey, Cassie and me.   It is nice to have him around.  Thanks for stopping by - Hugs,  j

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

"Bible believers" drive me nuts.