Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Scarlet Lion

When I finished Elizabeth Chadwick's The Greatest Knight about William Marshal of England I was disappointed because I the rest of the story was still untold.  It left off in the middle of his life,

This knight who had served Henry, Richard and King John of England had much more to accomplish according to the on-line investigation I had been doing.

So I was pleased to find that the second half of the story was told in another book.  The Scarlet Lion picks up where The Greatest Knight leaves off and continues the story.  And it is just as well told as the first book.

Elizabeth Chadwick tells the story from the standpoint of the women in the Earl's life.  His wife the Countess who was his advisor, helper, confidant and deputy to run the estates when he was gone fighting.  It paints a picture of life in the 1200's when the stability of the lives could very well be dependent upon the whim of one person.  The king could make life easy or hard.

It was very enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good historical novel.  Elizabeth is working on a novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine.  I can't wait for it to come out.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

Eleanor of A was one kick-butt woman!