Thursday, June 7, 2012

On being a teacher of the year.

Ten years ago I was nominated as Sam's Club Teacher of the Year.  I had a Red Vest (which didn't fit) that my sister made into a pillow for me,  I have it in the car and used it on my trip.  I buffered my left elbow so that it didn't get sore.  It came in handy.  At one rest stop I tossed it up on the dashboard above the steering wheel and I got out of the car and was standing there watching a man walk his dog.  I was missing Miss Molly.  Some lady started talking to me.  I did not know she was as I was concentrating on the beautiful dog...which may have been a Bernese Mountain Dog.

She was persistant and I soon realized that she was saying "Teacher of the Year?"  and I  finally connected and said that yes I had been an Elementary Teacher for 38 years.  She congratulated me and thanked me.  I have no idea who she was but I appreciated the fact that she would take the time to thank a complete stranger for being a teacher.  After all I got more out of it than the kids did.  They enriched my life.  I wasn't in it for awards (no teacher is) but getting that and being named to Who's Who in American Education two years in a row were thrilling to me and I am proud to have the pillow and the awards.

If you know a teacher,  thank them for what they are doing.  Oh and with the Award came a stipend which I could spend in my classroom.  I was able to purchase a wall television and tape player to hang in the room and used it the last couple of years until my retirement.

Bragging done for the day.  Thanks for stopping by. Hugs,

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

not braggin - pride !