Thursday, April 25, 2013

Mutterings of a retired person

It is nice out.  I should go somewhere. Funny thing is I don't want to. I was thinking of going to the York Rite Meetings tonight (Wednesday) but just don't seem motivated to do so.  There are some Brothers who go to a meeting almost every night. I used to do that sort of thing.

A couple of years ago I was out 30 nights a month and sometimes more.  Then I
decided that I needed to cut back. So I did. (And pissed some people off) Then I had this period of time when I couldn't go and I got so used to staying home that now that seems to be what I prefer to do.

There was a movie I wanted to see but it is ending on Thursday and unless there is a reason to go to Des Moines on Thursday I probably won't get to see it. I almost went once but got the times mixed up and decided I did not want to sit there for an hour waiting for it to start.

One of the reasons I have problems going to lodge meetings is my difficulty getting up and down from low tables and chairs.  I lost a lot of strength in my legs because of some medicine I was on and that makes it very hard to get up and down to salute flags and pray or walk around the room. And I just don't feel like making the effort.  I also have books to read and television to watch.

Some people always make the remark that we should just "Turn Off the Television."  Well, I am not going to. There are several shows I enjoy and why the hell shouldn't I watch them.  There are also some shows that I watched one time and never looked at them again. My taste, my choice so you do your thing and I will do mine.  If that makes you feel superior to me so be it.  Doesn't make it true.

One of my lodge brothers just quit Facebook.  I have thought of doing that but really I enjoy it.  I enjoy the pithy little memes that people put up.  I enjoy seeing the
pictures of the former students and seeing their families and if not for Facebook I would not know anything about what is happening in their lives.  The girl on the right is the daughter of one of the nicest kids I had in school.  They live in California.  Facebook connects me with them. Others are in New York City, Canada, North Carolina, Florida.  Some of my friends I have never met.  They found me through Masonry or some other way and I value them. I would not give them up for anything.  Also some Lodge and Eastern Star folks that I haven't seen for a long time.  Getting things done isn't as important as keeping up with things.

There are people trying to whitewash Bush right now.  The fact is he is/was responsible for so very many wrong things not least of which was taking us into another war which we should never have been in which cost so very many lives and he has never been held accountable for it or for the torture he authorized.  You can get the facts of the numbers killed and the trillions of dollars spent here.

And there are people who think it is perfectly all right.  I say it is all right if he spends the rest of his life on his cul de sac in Texas painting pictures.  Every time I see him justify what he did I get sick to my stomach.  So I switch the channel. But enough about that.  The sun is shining and it is 55 degrees outside and I refuse to be unhappy when I have friends who send me things like this.
Addendum - Last night on Letterman Kate Hudson used "You Know" 21 times in her interview (not to mention "I mean Like" - Just think, if it had been a drinking game what a hangover I would have had today. - just sayin'

No comments: