Tuesday, April 23, 2013

There is this and then there is that.

I used to have a sign in my classroom that said "You can't lift yourself up by putting others down."   


I read someplace this week-end that we need to teach children to have empathy. Then they won't become bullies.  That makes a great deal of sense to me.

Children used to be taught to tell a bully, "That is hurtful to me."  "You are being unkind."  Teachers react to bullies and in some cases become bullies themselves. They need to be proactive in teaching prevention.

If we teach a child how it feels to walk in another person's shoes and how they feel and what those words can do to them perhaps they won't bully others.

In the meantime when bullying happens it needs to be reported and there need to be consequences

I drove to Indianola today to pick up Bruce who was taking my sister's new van down so that Total Mobility could find the short that was causing the dash bord to not function. It was nice to be able to do it.  I drove down the east side and back on the west side.  I noticed that there are a few more flowers out but not as much green as I would like.  We need some more warm days.  But we are better off than the folks in Minnesota who are getting a snow storm.  In fact we may get snow here this week.  So not ready for more snow.  

I was watching Rachel tonight and she had a really neat segment about the White House Science Fair. I found a link. We used to have Science Fairs at school but how much neater would it be to be the President and have your own Science Fair.  Just for you.

I was surprised when reading one of my blogs to find that he had listed me as one of his Best blogs of 2013. Over at TYWKIWDBI  - Click on over to see the rest of the blogs on the list.  And by the way his blog is one of my favorites. I always learn something because of his blog.


Next a couple of things about Gun Control..I think you know where I stand-

And finally, yesterday was Earth Day. One of my favorite days. I used to have the kids do a project for Earth Day.  Self-designed and individual (no group for this one) - Some of the things they did was to plant flowers, clean up trash, etc. Then we had a "Science Fair" of our own to share our findings and projects.  It was a great project.  I liked it and the kids did something to show that they could make a difference.

I have been following the Sleepy Man Banjo Boys for a couple of years ago.  Fast forward through the yacking at the first and listen to these guys. They are good.  And they are from New Jersey.

No comments: