Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sunday Salute - LV

I have enjoyed this talented actress in many roles.  I was glad to see her on CBS this morning and to learn more about her. She is very worthy of a salute.

From Wikipedia

 Cicely Tyson (born December 19, 1933) is an American actress. A successful stage actress, Tyson is also known for her Oscar-nominated role in the filmSounder and the television movies The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman and Roots.

The Cicely Tyson School of Performing and Fine Arts, a magnet school in East Orange, New Jersey, was renamed in her honor. She plays an active part in supporting the school, which serves one of New Jersey's most underprivileged African-American communities."


One of the most remarkable things about actors and actresses of the stature of Miss Tyson is the fact that they make things come alive.  The printed page can show us the words that Sojourner Truth used but when Miss Tyson takes those words and speaks them using her talent then Sojourner Truth really becomes real for us.  Just watch this video clip:





Quotes:




I am not a quitter. I will fight until I drop. It is just a matter of having some faith in the fact that as long as you are able to draw breath in the universe, you have a chance.


I think when you begin to think of yourself as having achieved something, then there's nothing left for you to work towards. I want to believe that there is a mountain so high that I will spend my entire life striving to reach the top of it.


In my early years, there were a number of experiences that made me decide I could not afford the luxury of just being an actress. There were a number of issues I wanted to address. And I wanted to use my career as a platform.


When I told my mother that I wanted to be an actress, she said, you can't live here and do that, and so I moved out. I was determined to prove her wrong because she was so sure that I was going to go astray. And that's the juice that kept me going. 


I don't condemn anyone for making their choices. If someone chooses those roles, fine. But not for me. When someone stops me and says, You're the reason I became an actress, that lets me know I made the right decision.








Bishop Gene Robinson
Jackie Robinson
Bishop Desmond Tutu 
Cecely Tyson            
Betty White       


No comments: