Thursday, October 10, 2013

American Horror Story

I have discovered a new TV show - First let me say that I do not like Horror Shows (except for True Blood) but now I have found this show which is in its third season and which I was completely unaware of prior to today. And I like it. The material is edgy but the cast has me hooked. (I love Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange.

From Wikipedia (with link to Slate Article)
American Horror Story is a horror television series created and produced by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. Described as an anthology series, each season is conceived as a self-contained miniseries, following a disparate set of characters and settings, and a storyline with its own "beginning, middle, and end"...The series is broadcast on the cable television channel FX in the United States. The third season is scheduled to premiere on October 9, 2013, and to conclude in January 2014.

Season 3: Coven (2013–14) 

It's been over 300 years since the Salem witch trials. Those who remain are almost extinct and in danger again. A school has opened in New Orleans to teach protection to the young. The long-absent Supreme arrives to also protect the new students and their secrets.The themes include witches, witch hunts, incest, minorities, slavery, mothers and daughters, and witchcraft versus voodoo. The third season's theme is oppression. This season will be set in modern day and the 1830s
I like the promise of some "fun" in the series and think that Bates and Lange should provide great entertainment.  I am delighted with the "field trip" that the Supreme took the witches to the house where the infamous Madame LaLaurie (Bates) tortured her slaves and met her end.
I am really looking forward to this series as it seems to be an intelligent challenging show and is very well done.  I recommend it. 

No comments: