Saturday, August 25, 2007

Congratulations Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Gaines, was a 2003 National Teachers Hall of Fame inductee. You can read about her here. Today she is being honored by being inducted into the Iowa Women's Hall of Fame. It is a well deserved honor and I congratulate her. It has not been often that I personally know someone who has received this honor. I know Ruth Ann. In fact, I took two classes from her. One was the sensitivity training (human relations) course that all teachers in Iowa are required to take and the second was a multi-cultural awareness class. That class taught me about all of the cultures that make up a part of our society and that exist as a part of the greater culture of our country. It was an incredible experience.

In a time when those trying to be elected to our highest offices are using their politics to divide our country and when many people complain about multi-lingual brochures at the State Fair. This woman and people like her stand out as shining examples of what we should be. She enriched my life and I am sure the lives of countless others. It still seems incredible that it was on this date that women gained the right to vote in 1920. (less than 100 years ago).  It was long overdue and they are still fighting for many rights.

Congratulations, Ruth Ann. It is a well deserved honor and I am proud to call you my teacher and my friend.

Be loved. Hugs, jcs

No comments: