Monday, August 13, 2007

A Masonic Order











The Holy Order
of High Priesthood



The Holy Order of High Priesthood is an ancient Masonic Degree. It can only be conferred on a Companion who has been elected as High Priest of his local Chapter. It is conferred once a year at Grand Chapter and is really a nice degree that teaches important lessons.

It is based on the meeting of Melchisedec, king of Salem, the priest of the most high GOD and Abram (Who later became Abraham, the founder of the Jewish religion). Abram had been out a warring to rescue his brother Lot who had been taken captive. Upon his return he met Melchisedec who greeted him as a friend and Brother and fed him bread and wine. Abram gave him a tenth of all of his spoils. By this we know that Melchisedec was a powerful man. We also read about him in the book of Hebrews "Thou art a priest forever after the order of Melchizcdec." Jesus was said to be a priest forever after the order of Melchizcdec.

The Order has been a part of Royal Arch Masonry in America almost from the beginning of the General Grand Chapter in 1797. If interested you can read a rather lengthy history of the order at the University of Bradford Website here.

Two obligations that the newly anointed High Priest takes are to share with his Companions and to let go of animosity. Two qualities which we all should cultivate. (I do better with the sharing one.) They are also Masonic virtues which are re-emphasized in this degree.

On an interesting side note to this. I received this Order in April of 1974 after being elected High Priest of Joshua Chapter #127 R.A.M. here in Ames. At that time I had a Mormon family in my classroom and enjoyed them very much. One day I mentioned to Mrs. A that I was High Priest of my Chapter. She mentioned that her Husband was a High Priest after the order of Melchizcdec in their church. I told her that I had just received that degree at Grand Chapter. That was the first time I was aware of the Masonic/Mormon connection. It seems that Joseph Smith was a Mason and it appears that he borrowed liberally from the Masons when he set up the rituals of his church. Just as Moses borrowed from the Egyptian Religion. You can read about the Mormon High Priesthood on this page.

I have a great respect for Mormons. They are dedicated, caring people and are good citizens in our country/world. Or at least the ones I have met are. Come to think of it you could say that about most Masons so I guess we have that in common.

So I congratulate my three friends who received the Order this week-end. I hope they will derive much benefit from having partaken of this ancient ritual.

 Hugs, jcs.

No comments: