Saturday, August 18, 2007

Prayer



In the Royal Masters Degree of the York Rite one of the participants gives the following prayer. (It's not ritual so it is OK to share - Highlights mine.) I think it is one of the most beautiful I have ever heard. It says in part:

Let me do my work each day and if the darkened hours of despair overtake me, may I not forget the strength that comforted me in the sadness of other times...

Spare me from bitterness and from the sharp passions of unguarded moments. Though the world know me not, may my thoughts and actions be such as shall keep me friendly with myself. Lift my eyes from the earth and teach me the uses of the stars. Forbid that I should judge others lest I condemn myself...

Give me a few friends who will love me for what I am and not for what little I may possess. and though age and infirmity overtake me and I come not within sight of the castle of my dreams, teach me still to be thankful for life and for time's olden memories that are good and sweet, and may the evening's twilight find me gentle, still. Amen

I am not sure I have ever understood prayer. I go to meetings where prayers are given and so often the prayer turns into a "sermonette" telling us how to behave or what to believe. These prayers do not seem sincere to me and turn me off. Other times the prayers are given in a perfunctory manner or (in the case of the Lord's prayer) recited so quickly that there is no time to think about the meaning behind the words.

I was at a High-Twelve meeting and the prayer (table grace) given was so obviously given as a political prayer that it really turned me off for that organization.

Prayer can be many things. Prayer before a meal is a prayer of gratitude (or should be in my opinion), one of thanks for the meal about to be eaten. In a Masonic meeting the ritual prayer asks that harmony and brotherhood be present at the meeting and at the end of the meeting we ask God's blessing on all regular Masons. Ritual prayer becomes just that ritual. Many people do not even listen to ritual.

Prayer of gratitude (thanksgiving)
Prayer of acknowledgement (God is with us and we ask for a blessing)
Prayer of petition (we ask for something)
Prayer of teaching (putting the prayer givers views/beliefs/ onto the listener)

To me I guess that prayer to be effective should be silent, contemplative prayer which brings us into line with the Creator. I don't think that God sits in heaven and cares what stance we take when we pray, nor whether or not we are in a church or on our knees or crossing our hands over our breasts. I think the prayer that is the most effective is the one that puts us in touch with the Deity and it can be given any time, any where, and in any position.

I used to see a lot of people bow their heads in restaurants and obviously say a prayer before their meal. I guess that is all right but I wonder if they were really doing it for themselves or to put themselves up before the world to say "look at how pious I am." (didn't Jesus say something about "When you pray enter into your closet." ?)

I also think that quiet, listening prayer gets answered. I feel that the answer to our prayers comes to us with the still, small voice. Not in a whirlwind or fire but in the quietness of listening.

Some cultures have Prayer wheels that are supposed to send up constant prayers to the Deity. Sorry guys, I just don't think that works. In fact, I don't think most of the things we call prayer really work.

Prayer works when it is sincere, quiet and when we listen for the answer. the prayer above works. But it works because it brings me into line with what I truly want and grounds me in reality. I can forget about fantasies and pipe dreams. I'm not going to win the lottery and if I did how would that change me. (I suppose I could give away more and travel more but really who cares) It certainly won't fix damaged relationships. (That is what I am currently praying for but I don't think it is going to happen). But it does help because it puts things in perspective. It was written, by the way by Max Ehrmann who also wrote Desiderata which is also worth reading and pondering. I love the first part of it:
Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
I am going to start remembering how to do those things and worry about getting inner peace and not from others. Perhaps that will help.

By the way you might find this interesting. They have discovered a star with a tail like a comet.
just one more piece of evidence that the Universe is a fascinating place in which to live.


Remember you are loved. Hugs, j

No comments: