Sunday, August 19, 2007

Obligations


What makes you a Mason?

My obligation.

I took my first obligation as an Entered Apprentice on March 17, 1966 in Marion, Iowa in Trojan Lodge. I was kneeling at an altar similar to this one. I can't tell you exactly what the obligation entailed but I was assured that it would not conflict with my duty to God, my country, or myself. That has proven to be true.

Since that time I have knelt or stood behind many Masonic altars and taken many obligations. Sometimes so many (32 in the Scottish Rite and 10 in the York Rite) that I have forgotten much of what they were all about. I will tell you that in all of them I promised not to tell secrets and that is probably OK because I am still looking for some of those secrets.

There were some parts of obligations that stuck with me. In one degree I promised to treat all men as my brothers and to extend to each courtesy, etc. no matter what my station in Freemasonry. Nothing wrong with that. A good thing to do.

The one that sticks out however is the Commandery of Knights Templar obligation. in the first place the Order of the Temple is a very dramatic degree. It involves the taking of libations and glittering swords. All of which is very impressive. But the thing that stuck with me and which I had an opportunity to live up to was that I would forgive a Frater (Knights Templar for Brother) if I found in him a like disposition. The Knights Templar is a Christian Masonic Organization and as such attempt to live up to Christian principles. I tease my Knight Templar friends about things but I really did get a lot out of the Orders and while I wouldn't say it was the best in all of Freemasonry it is right up there at the top.

I had an opportunity to live up to that obligation the other day. A Brother with whom I had had a disagreement came up to me after Lodge and apologized for things which had happened. He was very sincere and we wound up becoming closer and I think we both grew from the experience. I know I feel closer to him. He is also a Knight Templar and I told him that I would remember my obligation as a Knight Templar and put it all behind me.

We had been avoiding each other and I was even considering leaving the Ames bodies because I just don't like to be around strife that much. There is a verse in the Bible which I have used. Abram says to Lot (or it could be the other way around) "Let there be no strife between me and thee for we be brethren, but if you will take the right hand pasture then I will take the left." I have done that a lot - taken the other pasture. Not fun but better than being around those that do not want me around.

I also have a tendency to hold on to grudges for a long time. Not one of my favorite characteristics and one I try to fight but I do. I read this on a blog from a person who was responding to someone who suggested that we need to "prune the friendship tree" once in awhile.

If i trimmed away at my friendship tree...trimmed away all the Blamers, Complainers, Drainers, Shamers, Discounters and the Gossips...who would be left???

I like my friends to complain, argue, cause some drama...i need some drama in my life...you know, good drama...i don't want to sit and have tea and cookies with a positive and happy fart that asks me if I am enjoying the weather and what i plan on cooking tonite for dinner... b.o.r.i.n.g
I think I would like to have him for a friend. At least he would put up with me and not relegate me to outer darkness. I once had a friend (I thought) who wanted me to do something with her. I was ill (turned out to be pneumonia) and turned her down. She didn't read my e-mail explaining what was wrong and we are no longer friends. Sometimes I miss her.

So I get much from my Masonic Obligations. I try to live up to them (when I remember them all) and grow. There is a lot in the Obligations which are just keep the secrets and to help others when they need help. I try to take them seriously. Most Masons do.

Remember you are loved. Hugs, j

No comments: