Friday, August 24, 2007

Happy Birthday Bailey


On August 25, 1995 Bailey was born. I did not get him until later but that is his birth date. He has become my best friend and I spoil him. When I was looking for a name for him I came up with Bailey's Irish Gizmo. That stands for BIG and while he was not large he is BIG in my heart. He sort of looked like the Gremlin Gizmo from the movie. I realized later that the only other Yorkshire Terrier that I had been around belonged to my friend Bob Bailey. Bob was killed by a train on New Year's Eve in the late sixties. I still miss the fun times we all had.

Bailey moved into my home and into my heart. My mother had died in January of that year and the little guy filled a void in my life. He crawled into my bed and still sleeps with me. That is OK until we get a thunder storm (which I used to be able to sleep through) and he has to bark at every lightning bolt and blast of thunder.
Bailey likes to play with his soccer ball. He has to have something in his mouth when he does it. I have photos of him with a stuffed banana and even a pop can while he is pushing his ball around. He even pushes the little balls around rather than just fetching it. When I have company he becomes a pest and tries to play ball with everyone in the room. He is fair and takes turns with everyone.
When he is not playing he is usually sleeping and leaning up against my leg on the foot rest of the recliner. When he wants to go outside he will get up and climb up and lick my nose. He also loves to go for a drive and usually sits on my left leg with his nose either sniffing the air vent or peeking out the window. One time he escaped and my friend Dorothy Hinders found him over by Meeker School. She saw him and brought him home. I am still grateful for her rescue.
I think you can see why I like him. My nephew and sister make disparaging remarks about him but that is because they like Max (Jon's dog) best. So Happy Birthday Buddy. You love me no matter what I do. I know what I am getting you for your present but I haven't picked it up yet because you would have already gotten it.

No comments: