Sunday, April 11, 2010

Helicopter Aerials over ISU

On Saturday morning there was a "fly in" breakfast at the Ames Airport, which served pancakes, bacon, OJ, and coffee. It also served up a nice display of some World War II airplanes as well as a large variety of personal planes flown there by their pilots for the occasion. Also on site was a helicopter owned by John McLaughlin, the meterologist from KCCI-TV in Des Moines. John was not there flying it that morning, but another competent pilot was. They gave ten minute rides over ISU for a nominal fee, and I decided I had to go!! I had flown in helicopters of different varieties three other times, but never in an aircraft quite like this one. I was the only passenger and I sat in the co-pilots seat, with an incredible wide view through the plexiglass bubble. The ride was over far too fast, and I was shooting nearly continually, and here are the results. If you are an Ames person or an ISU student or alumni, you may enjoy looking at the campus in full screen or perhaps enlarged, as there is much detail to enjoy.
















Photos and text by Bob Kelly