Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday Cartoons and a Letterman / Ferguson Rant

Was the week-end a waste if you spent it by yourself, reading and relaxing? I don't think so. I could have gone to two Masonic events yesterday but, you know I think I was "Masoned out" - I have been to 13 Masonic events this month. Will work all week at the Scottish Rite and have three more Masonic events to attend. I just needed some "down time." Besides they didn't really need me at the Saturday events.
My favorite activity this month was going out to eat with Kurt and Lyssa. It is always nice to be with them and to celebrate Kurt's birthday is always fun. We just let him decide what he wants to do and then go along with him. Nobody really celebrates my birthday. For one thing I think I have had enough of them. I think the most fun was when a pink gorilla brought me a chocolate cow pie and about 5 classes of kids came in and sang Happy Birthday to me. That was 8 1/2 years ago when I was 60. That is enough celebration. Can you believe I will be 69 in November... Eeeeaouwww - enough of that.
I have been thinking of giving up watching Letterman and Ferguson. The shows have become formulaic with the same old, same old all the time. Ferguson has the potential but he is to controlled by CBS with their need to have so many commercials. One evening he tried something different. He had one guest and talked in depth with him. Another time one of his guests just moved over to the empty chair and stayed on through the next guest. I will never forget when Johnny Carson used to do that. One time Carson had about three big names out there. I think I put a clip of that up on the Blog one time. That was the night George Gobel said "Did you ever get the feeling that the whole world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Today's talk shows just seem to be some big name coming on to promote their latest book or movie or show. Yes I sometimes enjoy them but by in large it is just pap to fill up time and I would be better off blogging or reading. Especially reading.
Letterman is especially annoying during his monologue. For one thing you always see him running out across the stage to make his entrance and that has gotten really old. Then when he wants the drum to make a noise he places the flat of his hand on his right hand pocked and you hear a drum beat. It is just dumb. And then when he brings the sports guys on and talks sports with them. I know there are people who like them but I don't and it is almost as bad as when he has some politician on and tries to be intellectual. One time he had the founder of the TEA party on and tried to have an intelligent conversation with her. It fell completely flat. She came across as dumber than Palin and that is pretty dumb. He should stick to telling jokes. Even his show is predictable and I guess I am just tires of him. I won't watch Jay he just acts like he thinks he is God's gift to comedy.
Craig Ferguson is sometimes the funniest man on Television but even he needs to stop using the same old formula over and over. And some of the "stuff" he says could use a little enunciation...I get tired of having to listen hard to hear him say "ItsagreatdayforAmericaeverybody. or IamyourhostTV'sCraigFerguson. And that new robot sidekick just turns me completely off as do most of his puppets. The all puppet show was just stupid.

I GUESS I AM JUST A SOUR OLD GRUMP tonight. But really I just wanted to get that off my chest. I will still watch some of them. Especially if they have a guest on that I want to watch. But actually perhaps then again I won't...

I think it may be the weather. I really wanted to get out and take some pictures but with the rain and wind it wasn't going to work out. So I didn't. Now it is time to sign off and wish everyone a very happy Monday. There are some pictures and a couple of movies scheduled for Miles on Monday that will be up around 7 AM tomorrow so come back for a look. Thanks for stopping by and listening to me gripe. Have a great week. Hugs, j-bear

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

your cartoons made me sad.

I hope you have a good Monday.