Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Monday Night Mutterings

This is a picture of my physical therapist. He is fun to work with.  Lots of movement exercises and I am now able to raise my right arm straight out and there is not much pain.  I had some "popping" when I moved but much less pain.  I am, however, sore tonight even though I iced it. Plus he is good to talk to.  I live alone and the dogs are not great conversationalists.  I used to have some friends to go out to eat with but they have diminished.  So having conversation is good.


I am not sure I know what to do about the camera in the phone. I don't like that it is not sharp.  Perhaps I shall have to learn how to hold it.  Any way you can see by his smile that he is a really nice guy.  I know it is doing some good. We scheduled for a a couple of weeks more.  While doing that I discovered that a week from today is the 4th of July.


I am still coughing and hacking and the steroid I am taking kept me awake all night last night. I could not go to sleep so I read.  I finished my book at 5:00 AM and finally went to sleep and slept until 9:00.  



The book I was reading was Michael Connelly's The Fifth Witness.

I had watched the movie "The Lincoln Lawyer" about defense attorney Mickey Haller who ran his business out of the back seat of his Lincoln Town car the other day so when I saw this one and it said that it had the same character I decided to pick it up and read it.

I read a lot.  I never eat alone, I have the book open in front of me when I eat, which sometimes causes a spot of Ketchup on the page but since it is my book I guess I can.  I also carry my book with me everywhere.

The book was a good read.  You can read a synopsis if you clink on the link above.  I like the way Connelly drew us into the story by making us care about his characters and the story was very timely as it involves the mortgage crises with so many losing their homes. (I can't remember when I have seen so many For Sale signs around as I have lately)  He also brought the movie I had watched into his narrative and that was fun.  Nice twist at the end with a promise of another book with this character.


The book I read just previously to that was David Baldacci's The 6th  Man.  Again this was a good read.  I like Baldacci's books and have been a fan since Absolute Power.


The concept of this book was actually kind of frightening.  I am not a fan of government conspiracy and the way they manipulate people and a lot of people get killed in the book.  But the writing was good and it kept my interest.  I will continue to be a Baldacci fan.  And also a nice twist at the end that I did not see coming.  I like reading books and when I am finished with them I share them.

I also went to the grocery store and bought a nice porterhouse steak for supper and some fruit and a head of lettuce and yogurt and some fruit and some Lean Cuisine.  I threw out a lot of things that were in the refrigerator.  I gave a bag of Doritos to my contractor who came over to help me with a problem I am having with my Insurance Company (another story).  I have decided that I need to stop eating chips, and potatoes and other things which are not good for me. This is all because they made me get weighed at the Doctor's Office and I really did not like the number and I can no longer fit into my suit and I just need to get it under control.  So we shall see if I can do it.  When I first started teaching I got my waist size down to 38 and I was right at 200 ponds.  I had always been heavy.  I liked myself better then. I need to do it again or the ashes that are left won't fit in the coffee can.

Mini rant.. Why do celebrities on a show applaud themselves.  Jimmy Fallon does it (I have stopped watching him) and Shia LaBeouf sat there clapping his hands frantically when the interview was over.  It just turns me off.  And the map on the wall behind Jon Stewart on The Daily Show (the one of Europe and Asia) looks like some sort of giant insect monster. Disconcerting.


He thanks for stopping by.  It feels good to write something again.  Hope you don't mind that I babbled on. Hugs, j

3 comments:

Marlene said...

Jay,
I want you to know how much your blog means to me. I look forward to it every day.I appreciate your willingness to share your experiences as well as the wonderful jokes!!
I also used to be unhappy with performers clapping for themselves until I was told that they are actually clapping to show their appreciation for a good audience.
That made all the difference for me.
Thanks for all the good you do!!!
Bill.

Anna said...

Jay- glad that your PT is a good guy. He looks like he is gentle but firm. Good luck working with him! :)

Knight said...

It's great that you are taking the initiative for your own health. I hope it works out for you.

Your physical therapist does look like a nice guy. I'm glad it's helping with the pain.