Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Mother's trip to Las Vegas

Wanda, my Mother and my Aunt Ellen
My mother had five sisters.  Ellen lived in Los Angeles and in the winter of 1958 Mother took a trip out to visit her.  Ellen was a great hostess and she took my mother all over the Los Angeles area and also to Las Vegas.  It was easier to drive to Vegas from LA then than it is now because there were not so many people there. Thus much less traffic.

Both Mom and Ellen were secretaries but Ellen was actually an administrator.  She was head of the Central Stenographic Bureau at UCLA and Wanda was one of the women who worked for her and also rented a room from her.  She was fun.  You can see from this picture that on vacation Mom enjoyed a drink or two.  I believe her favorite was 7-7  Seagrams 7 and 7-up.  She also smoked. 

Mother enjoyed this trip immensely.  She loved to travel and her Uncle Carroll (her Mother's Brother) was also there and he joined them for some of the adventures.  Mother was full of questions about the things she was seeing and Uncle Carroll would always have an answer for her.  At one point she made the remark that she was certainly glad that he was able to tell her about the things she had been seeing.  He chuckled and said, "You wouldn't know if I was telling the truth or not."  

I was in my Junior year in High School at that time and Mom made arrangements for me to go to Las Angeles the next summer for a month to stay with Ellen and see some of the sights she had seen.  I loved it and still have lots of memories of that month. Uncle Carroll was also around some while I was there and he gave me a camera.  An Argus C-3 which took 35 millimeter slides.  I think that was the first camera I ever had and I have had a life long love affair with taking pictures ever since.  I still have boxes of slides in the basement and someday I will get one of those little machines which will turn slides and negatives into digital photos.   In the meantime I am dependent on Ginny for scanning some pictures for me and this is one she had with her pictures.  I am glad she did it so I could share it with you.  Happy Tuesday and Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: