Sunday, September 21, 2008

Brunch with Trevor - Angie's Kitchen Vs. The Cafe

Brother Trevor is in town this week-end visiting his girl-friend. We had arranged to get together for breakfast via e-mail while he was in China. I picked him up at 9:00 this morning and we went out to Angie's Kitchen (his suggestion) for breakfast. We went in and sat down expecting to be served. Neither one of us had been in there to eat before.

I rubbed my hand over the table and it felt like there was dirt on it. So we took napkins and wiped it off. We started visiting and he was telling me about China and the Olympics. He was able to attend several events although could not attend some of them as they were more expensive and he is a college student. We sat there for about 10 minutes and a couple came in and sat down.

Pretty soon a woman came out from behind a counter in the back and walked past us and up to the couple. She told them that they had to go to a counter in the back to order. When that happened we got the idea and went up behind them and waited while they placed their orders.

Then it was our turn (even though we had been in there for 10 minutes before they came in being ignored) so I was looking at the menu above the counter and was going to order a three egg omelet. I started to order it with cheese, ham and..She stopped me and pointed to a notebook lying open on the counter by the register. Written with a large crayola was a note that they were out of ham, and several other things. I suggested that we go elsewhere and told her that the table was dirty, others who came in after us had been greeted and told how to order and now they were out of what I wanted. We left. I doubt that I will ever go back there.

So we went up to The Cafe in the north part of Ames. (picture blow) The Cafe is one of the nicest places in Ames to eat. We both had Pumpkin pancakes with butter and walnuts, syrup, eggs, and coffee. I had bacon and Trevor had sausage. He gave me a bite of his sausage which was extremely good. Very tasty and not greasy (as sausage often is) and very satisfying. We had been greeted immediately upon arrival, welcomed and seated and coffee was brought to us. The waitress was very pleasant. She took good care of us without being intrusive.

We finished our conversation and I took him home. His plane for New York City leaves around 5:30 AM tomorrow morning. I am thankful that someone else is taking him to the airport. Not that I wouldn't if he asked me to.

He is going to connect with Patrick (the author- see below) in New York City who has promised to help him find a Lodge. That is one of the really neat things about Masonry. You can find Brothers all over and because of a shared obligation we are willing to help each other out.
I will miss Trevor. I would like to go into New York City, but short of winning the lottery doubt that I will be able to afford it. He told me how much he pays for rent in that place. He also said he eats a lot of New York Pizza - You can get that kind of Pizza here in Ames at Jeff's Pizza, a place Trevor first told me about and where I eat about once a week. It was a great morning.

Jon came over this afternoon and told me about the other bike accident he had been in. This one sent him flying about the length of the living room and he still has a sore elbow from it. That was two accidents in one day. The bike is pretty banged up and needs some work. I don't know whether or not I want him getting it fixed or not. Handle bars are at a 20 degree angle and the wheel is rubbing up against the brake pad. He says it is not that bad.

But when you ride a bike in this town you have to be very careful. There are so many people who think they are the only ones on the road and that bikes should have no right-of way even when they have the right of way. Of course, there are some bikers who think the rules of the road are not for them either. Even when there is a stop sign on the bike path some of them will cruise right through them without stopping. I guess it works both ways. Wear your seat belts and helmets.

Jon and I are going for Chinese when he gets back from walking Max. Addendum: We went to the May House and the Egg Rolls were the best I have EVER eaten.

Thanks for stopping by. I am saving some political things for tomorrow. Hugs, j

1 comment:

Kurt said...

Oh, man! I missed Trevor! I'm glad to see that he's doing well!