Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Kennedy Center Honors

If you are a regular reader of this blog you will know that there is one event that is televised each year that I will watch no matter what. I seal the doors and unplug the telephone and don't bother to come visit 'cause I won't let you in. That is the Kennedy Center Honors.

Each year The Kennedy Center chooses five outstanding individuals to honor. They have a wonderful program which tells about the recipients and what they have done culturally.

From the article announcing it:

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts announced this morning that its 2008 honorees are veteran actor Morgan Freeman, country crooner George Jones, actress and singer Barbra Streisand, choreographer Twyla Tharp, and rock legends Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend of The Who.

"The 2008 Honorees have redefined the way we see, hear and feel and the performing arts," Stephen A. Schwarzman, the Kennedy Center Chairman, said in a statement.

They will receive their awards on December 7, usually at a White House Reception and will then go to the Kenney Center for an evening of entertainment. That is the part we get to watch.

Last year one of the recipients (pianist Leon Fleisher.) made a political statement by wearing a purple ribbon in support of the Purple Ribbon Project which has as its long-term goal to bring an end to all interpersonal violence.

American pianist Leon Fleisher described his discomfort on being invited to a White House reception. The reception marked an award given to him by the Kennedy Center. Though thrilled by the award, Fleisher had been "horrified by many of President Bush's policies", and considered staying away from the White House. Finally he felt obliged to attend, but did so "wearing a peace symbol around my neck and a purple ribbon on my lapel, at once showing support for our young men and women in the armed services and calling for their earliest return home."
I disagree with folks who criticized him for doing this. I will never be given an award like this (the only instrument which I play is the stereo) but I defend his right to make a statement such as this and it is, after all, a fundamental right guaranteed to us by the Constitution. I also know that there are folks who don't like Ms Streisand because of her outspoken criticism of the Republican policies and the Bush administration. But it is her right. No matter what, she deserves the award and her career is one I have followed with interest. She has an enormous talent. (I have also heard stories about an enormous ego but I won't go there. If she does have one, it is deserved) I go to her movies, I listen to her songs and I she is one of those I will drop everything to see. I saw her once at the Hollywood Bowl in the 60's and it remains one of my best memories of California.

I congratulate the winners. I look forward to watching the show. Thanks for stopping by. Hugs, j

No comments: