Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Religion

Over on The Rev's Rumbles Grace took offense to my comment where I called certain religious people right-wing fascist wing nuts

She wanted to know what had happened to me that:
"even the possibility of eternal separation from God is something to mock?

What's happened to make both of you feel in this way? If it's OK, I would like to know."
I get accused of preaching on here so if you aren't interested you don't have to read this. My response is below.

Nothing has "happened to me" I just do not think that a God who is Love would ever separate Himself from his creation. Did not he "behold everything that He had made and it was very good."

Yes I call them right-wing fascist wing nuts because they have taken the religion of Love and turned it into one of Hate. That to me is Evil! God is not Evil, Never would He as a loving Father separate himself from us.

The Bible as described by Rev. Fred is that collection of stories. I believe that God sent Jesus to us to teach us how to love. People in "those" churches do not understand or practice that love. Their whole being is to control through fear and hate and it is the real evil in the world.

Fortunately everyone has the potential to grow in love and once you get SELF out of the way and see the Divine spark (or the Christ) in everyone they to can be enfolded in God's love which is free to all.

Understanding that is what has happened to me.

I will not take the Bible literally. I take it as beautiful literature about our relationship to God and how we should live with each other. I do not believe in telling others that they will be separated from God because He is displeased with them. I will not believe that a small child who is born and then dies without being baptized will be forever separated from God or be relegated to a place called Limbo. I do not believe that we need to have communion to be close to God. In the church I used to go to I was taught that "Worship through the medium of matter is paganism." I believe in drawing close to God who is Spirit, Life, Truth, Love, not matter. I believe that He/She is the guiding Principle of the Universe and all that is.

In the front of that church was a sign that said "God is Love". When I was younger I went to a different church. There was a sign in that church that said "God is Love" - two different churches. Same message. GOD IS LOVE! Is that not enough? Must we invite hate into our hearts?

When I see these preachers who say that people will go to Hell and that gays should be killed (Jimmy Swaggert) or that anyone is outside the love of God I find it very hard not to judge. Very hard. But Jesus did say "Judge Not!" He also said "He who is without sin cast the first stone." Sin is missing the mark. Grace, are you without sin? Am I? I don't think so. I try to grow spiritually each day. I try to love my neighbor and myself (although I have a very hard time with that at times) and always my God. But God made me the way I am and He loves it that I am trying to do better every day. Or at least I hope so. And if He would seperate Himself from me because I made a mistake I am not sure I want Him as my God.

I do not have children of my own. I do have a nephew whom I love and I have taught school and I loved my students and I have friends who have children and I love them. I can only take my own example. There is nothing they do that would keep me from loving them. I do not always like everything they do but I still LOVE them and want the best for them My only regret is that I do not have the funds to give more to them. But perhaps my love is enough.

"Divine Love always has met and always will meet every human need." Mary Baker Eddy was a very wise woman. She would not accept a God who would, through predestination, condemn some people, I won't either. We are all going towards God's Love. There are many paths to the top of the mountain. The view is always the same. That is a view of boundless love.

I stopped saying I am a ___________________. I now say I am spiritual. I read Bishop Spong and any other that comes across my desk. I know that this Blog has been used by God on occasion because once I have written something it sometimes comes back to me that it has done some good. That it brought a message to someone and blessed them. That is one of the reasons I do it. And Grace, thanks for asking the question. It forced me to articulate my thoughts. I hope that you do not find them offensive and that I have answered your question. Thanks for stopping by. Hugs and Always Remember That You Are Loved. j

1 comment:

BentonQuest said...

I could not love a God who would damn someone to Hell. We like to toss around the phrase "for all eternity" but do we ever think about it? ETERNITY! Eternal pain for 80 years of sin? That would be like pouring a can of Coke in the ocean and claiming the ocean was now Coke. It just doesn't make sense.