Wednesday, June 6, 2007

1963 Remembered






In October of 1963 I was attending State College of Iowa (now the University of Northern Iowa) in Cedar Falls Iowa. One bright November day I was going to walk from our rooming house to the Hill shopping area. A man driving by yelled out his car window. "They shot the President." Then he said something about the "commies" - That day the nation, even the world stopped. We were glued to our Television sets, first to see what had happened then with growing horror as it was confirmed that President Kennedy had been shot and killed. There were about 8 of us who lived in Linda Rulon's rooming house and she had a TV set at the bottom of the steps for all of us to use. All but one of us watched as the drama unfolded and the nation and the world reacted to this horrible event.

We were held together by 24 hour coverage of events and the newsmen of that time were giants.

Today all of that was brought back to me as I visited The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza. It was numbing to stand next to the spot where Lee Harvey Oswald waited to shoot President Kennedy.

I got tears in my eyes all over again as I watched little John John salute his father's coffin as it passed by. I marveled at the ability of Mrs. Kennedy as she lived through that horrible time. You can see that she was in shock as she stood next to Lyndon Johnson as he took the oath of office but she was able to plan a funeral for her husband and then hold up through what must have been an incredible trauma for her and her family.

I also have to say that I admire her greatly for the way that she did what she had to in order to bring up her two children and protect them as they grew up.

It was a very moving experience. When I had driven through Dallas on my way to Mexico with my friend John we stopped at Dealey Plaza and that was also very moving. It was around 6 AM and we did not spend a lot of time there but we both were impressed to be in that infamous spot.

I recommend going there if you are ever in Dallas. It is a moving experience and even if you did not live through it you should see it.

Even the Freeways down here have interesting bridge supports. Decorated with stars and there were also paintings along the sound walls but I didn't get pictures of them. Harley was waiting when we got back. He likes to sit in front of the fire place. I spoil him. I purchased my souvenir for the trip. At the Outlet Mall on the way home.

Tomorrow I fly to Houston for the United Grand Imperial Council meetings. I am homesick but will enjoy the meetings. Thanks for reading. Be loved. Hugs.

1 comment:

Taner said...

I have been in that museum. It was even hard for me not to become emotional. From all these movies, you expect an extraordinary place, but the building and the road are so mundane that it is hard to believe that Kennedy was shot there.