Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Catching Up

I have been playing "catch up" all day with newspapers, mail, laundry etc. I went through the mail and except for a few bills there wasn't much of note. That is at it usually is. I get more e-mail than regular mail. Not enough of those at times. I love to hear from people...especially some people.

As for the newspapers there wasn't much in them either. Nobody I knew died (thankfully) - The Ames paper was full of gay-bashing (letters to the editors) because there is a group running ads in the area. There was also a lot of fussing about school boundaries, a professor who did not get tenure because he believes in "Intelligent Design" (according to the letters supporting him) and of course, the proposed chaplain for the football team.

I am against that. Not that I am against chaplains but I am opposed to placing them in schools or in public venues where people who believe differently might have to be pressured by a certain religion or even a denomination within that religion. It seems what the coach wants the chaplain to do is to counsel the players. That could be done by a counselor without bringing religion into it. The counselor might suggest the player go to his or her own pastor - no problem with that.

As to the boundaries between Edwards and Sawyer that has been a problem for a long time. The solution that seems to me to make the most sense is one that I haven't heard and may not work but I would look into making Edwards a k - 2 school and Sawyer a 3-4-5 school. Put them all under one principal and share services. I am also tired of the Roosevelt parents fussing about the fact that Roosevelt was closed. I taught there and loved the school but let's face it The building is old, not handicapped accessible and it was time. Now that it is done let's move on.

If indeed the professor was denied tenure because he believes in intelligent design that is wrong. A person has the right to believe what he or she wants. If he was a good teacher and did everything he should do otherwise he should not have been denied tenure. Unless there is something else I am not aware of.

As to the good "Christians" bashing gays I agree with one woman who wrote that Jesus would not have done it, Never said anything about it and it is just wrong. There I have commented on everything I needed to comment on.

Notice I did not comment on any of the politicians hungering after the office of president. I just don't care at this point. I know who I like right now but I may change my mind. Jonathan likes the New Mexico Governor and he has good reasons. I shall wait, see who rises to the top and will most likely vote for the democrat. But then you knew that.

I went to see Oceans 13 after Quiznos and enjoyed it very much. I have liked all of the Oceans movies and love this kind of ensemble picture. I think my favorite part was watching George Clooney and Brad Pitt as they watched Oprah Winfrey give a new house to someone. The expressions on their faces were priceless.

I think I am having people withdrawal. I have been around a lot of people and now I am around the dogs and a cat. Oh well at least they are happy to see me. You are loved! Stay Happy! Hugs, j

No comments: