Thursday, June 28, 2007

Oueen of Egypt


This is a picture of the Funerary Temple of Queen Hatshepsut. She ruled in Egypt as if she were a man. They have found her mummy. I visited her Temple in 1976. One of the things that stuck me was that after her death her name was erased from her Temple in an attempt to obliterate her memory. Vain hope.

That is not what I want to comment on today, however. It is the status of women in our society. Hatshepst was a powerful women and as such she threatened the men. The society of ancient Egypt was definitely male dominated and oriented. In fact, in order to rule the Queen had to make herself into a King and even wore a false beard. I doubt that this fooled anyone as to her sex.

Now I know I have written about the place of women in our society before in this blog. I know there are several places in the blog where I have repeated myself. In fact according to Google Analytics there was no traffic on the blog at all yesterday. No one read the blog. I must be boring most of you. Be that as it may, the Blog is still going to be written. I will write about what is on my mind and I will probably repeat myself. One of the perks of getting old.

I was up to Walgreen's yesterday to get more diabetic testing strips so I can monitor my blood sugar and had to wait because I had not called in the order. I sat next to a charming lady (86) who was waiting for something also. While there her son brought over some photos from her granddaughters wedding. I know you know how I feel about weddings. Anyway she began to show them to me and I enjoyed looking at them. Turns out one of her grandsons is Eric Hansen, Weatherman on Channel 8. All of them were tall Norwegians. She mentioned a couple of times about a granddaughter who is studying pharmacy. Beautiful people.

I told her about what I usually tell a bride and groom. Several years ago I was at a former students wedding and the minister kept referring to what a beautify marriage it was going to be because the bride was "such a servant." Several of us had blood dripping from our mouths because of biting our tongues. As the bride and groom dismissed us I told them that "it says in the Bible that God created man in his own image. Male and Female created he them. Therefore when I see the two of you together I see an image of God."

Now I know that is not going to help much in combating the minister's patronizing attitude but it made me feel better to say it. In fact, it probably went right over their heads.

The lady at the drugstore seemed to think it was OK for the woman to be a servant. She said something about what it says in the Bible about women being "submissive" to the man. Now I will argue with that. First of all I do not believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God. Folks, the Bible was written by men and as such they had a vested interested in preserving the status quo. Women as property and as servants. The part about women being submissive comes from Paul and I find a lot to argue with what he has to say about women. In fact in the same area of First Corinthians he suggests that it is better to be like him, single. I might even argue with that. Also a woman is not going to be looked upon with favor by God if she prays with her head uncovered. Now I mean really, do you honestly think that a woman has to cover her head in order for God to hear her prayer?

I read somewhere a comment about people who "worship" the Bible. For them it becomes God. The Bible is an historical record which may or may not be entirely factual. It is not the ultimate Truth. That is found elsewhere.Generally in our own hearts when we truly humble ourselves and "listen."

Women have been held down for centuries by patriarchal men interested in having unpaid servants. Women have generally been identified by some man's name. My mother had first her father's name, then her first husband and finally her second husband's name. I really don't understand it. I met a couple at a wedding and he had his name and she had hers. (She probably got it from her father). I was told it was because she had children from a first marriage and wanted to keep the name for them. Some couples use hyphenated names.

Women were not allowed to vote until this century. They were kept out of male dominated professions, not allowed to hold property in their own name,and have never been paid on a par with their male counterparts. I could go on but most of you know what I mean. Males use the Bible as justification for these practices. But they pick and choose. Why aren't women placed apart from society any more during and after their monthly "cycle"? Why aren't women who wear pearls not taken out and stoned? I submit because society would not allow it. Even the famous Ten Commandments treat women as chattel (property).

The Bible was written by men. Some of them may have thought that God was speaking to them but I doubt that most of them knew how to listen. Once in awhile I have felt an "angel message" from God. They have enriched my life and caused me to grow. My sister once did something very upsetting to most of us. Many in the family were ready to condem her and some did. I had the opportunity to really "listen" and think as I drove back from Boston. The message I got was that I needed to remember to love her unconditionally. The same way God loves ALL of His children. That is the real message of Christianity. I worship at an empty cross. Not a cross of torture and death but a cross that teaches me that by trying to follow Jesus' example I too, can overcome the human condition and live a life more spiritual.

I was asked recently to identify my religion. I have recently (for personal reasons) left the church I attended for over 30 years. I thought about what to put down on the blank and finally put down "spiritual." It is that spirituality that causes me to see that God's image is both male and female. God is Father-Mother or Mother-Father if you will. So you do not have to pretend to be a man Hatshepsut. Just be yourself. I truly admire a lot of women. Elizabeth Edwards comes to mind for her courage and willingness to stand up to hatred and fight it.

I was for the Equal Rights Amendment and still am. I think women and men need to have equal treatment under the law and I am outraged by those who would use the Bible to justify their narrowness and prejudice. The Bible is NOT God. We use it as a guide. Parts of it are outmoded and outdated. Jefferson had the right idea when he put together the Jefferson Bible. I know there are people out there who are not going to agree with me but that is all right. These are my ideas. You don't have to like them. If you don't open up a Blogger Account and start your own Blog. Or leave a comment. (If I don't like what you say I will delete you - with great satisfaction)- Since no one read me yesterday perhaps no one will read me today.

Whatever.

Hugs. j (pop)

No comments: