Thursday, June 14, 2007


I heard a figure the other day that just boggles my mind. I hear that there were 43,000 auto fatalities on US Roads. So I Googled it and found the number along with a table showing the break-down. This is just incredible to me. We have 3,000 deaths in Iraq and everyone is up in arms about it and yet there does not seem to be much going on about auto fatalities. In fact, they talk about how the fatalities are down because cars are much safer.

I just finished driving a couple of thousand miles and did not see many accidents. I did see one the other day (before my trip) on I-35 on the way to Des Moines. A car was upside down along the road and there were people all around trying to help. I did not see anything in the paper about it so perhaps no one died. Accidents seem to be to commonplace for them to be newsworthy. The first auto fatality was in 1899 in New York City. The victims name was Harry Bliss. That is according to one person. Another place says the victim was Mary Ward who died when she fell from a steam carriage in 1869 and was run over.

Car accidents cause damage and personal injury and I don't even want to get into that. Suffice it to say that my sister is in a wheel-chair because of a car accident.

I do want to address driving behavior today. I know that I drive a little fast. If I don't go with the flow I get passed, left and right. So I was taught to go with the average speed of the motorists on the road with me. The ones who don't - The ones who drive along at just the speed limit or a little below the speed limit. Gripping the steering wheel and staring straight ahead are the dangerous drivers. Usually they have white hair and thick glasses.

The other behavior I saw that upsets me is the ones with their hand up to their ear..talking on their cell phones. Usually these are weaving a little so you have to watch that they don't drift into your lane. One woman today was at a flashing red light. (take turns please) and talking on the phone. It was her turn but she just sat there talking. The rest of us decided to just go on but we were cautious.

One person I knew used to regularly drive between Ames and Des Moines reading her professional journals. Not a safe practice. Neither is eating a bowl of soup - a behavior I once read about.

I found most of the drivers on the trip to be courteous. Not like the ones in San Francisco who cut across six lanes of traffic with their hand out the window..middle finger extended.

I see a lot of people who just ignore basic traffic rules by cutting across lanes switching lanes in and out to get ahead of others and just plain being discourteous.

I think we need to crack down on poor driving behaviors. I saw one sign that said if I hit a worker in a construction zone the fine would be $10,000 and I would lose my license. I saw several which said "Fines double in construction zones" but this one caught my attention.

Another thing. Headlights! In some cars the headlights come on when you turn on the key. In some states it is the law to have your headlights on when it is raining and you have your windshield wipers on. This makes sense. We drove in a lot of rain. Some of it blinding. It was hard to see many cars and small tail lights on cars and trucks were also dangerous.

I am not sure what should be done about all of this. I had a great driving instructor. When I was taking lessons in Gilbert, Iowa in 1958 Mr. Peterson took us to Des Moines in the evening to give us the experience of driving on multi-lane streets and my Uncle Dave also helped by seeing to it that I drove every vehicle which was available to be driven. Many of them straight stick.

Later, between my Junior and Senior year in High School I drove in California. My Aunt Ellen's Friend helped me also by teaching me to drive in big city traffic. Those lessons still help me today. I also learned to think of all the other cars on the road as loaded guns pointed right at me.

Something needs to be done about the number a fatalities and accidents on our roads. I had one person that I would not ride with. She was so unconscious about her driving that it was a wonder that she was not in more accidents.

My Great Aunt Ethyl Meeker used to drive all over. She even drove to California when she was 80 years old. She told me that every time she got into the car she affirmed that there was "Intelligence (Mind) at the wheel." I have used that myself and it helps.

Thanks for listening. You are loved. Hugs. j

No comments: