Monday, September 14, 2009

Butterflies Feasting on Fall Nectar...

I saw dozens of Monarch butterflies like this one all feasting and fluttering about a large area that had hundreds of Blue Sage wildflower plants growing there in a native kind of way. It was quite a site and a challenge as well. The blue Wild Aster with yellow centers is visible now in road ditches along with other color variations. Small Cabbage Butterflies of yellow and white colors like to feast on these Iowa flowers. Enjoy them until we have a hard freeze!
Bob Kelly
I was complementing Bob on his photos and told him about my experience of seeing a flock of them and no camera with me. That prompted this addition to his original posting. Jay
Eight years ago this month, I found this large group of migrating Monarchs that were spending a few days in Nevada to eat and to rest up before they resumed their incredible journey to Mexico. I have been back to this same area for several years, and I have never seen them again. These shots were taken with an older digital camera, and if I could encounter them today, the results would be better I assume, but these images will give you a feel for the numbers that were there. It was impossible to get them all in one shot but the total number was between 2,000 to 5,000 Monarchs. Do some Googling for more info, as this species is most unusual, determined, and incredible in what they do. Enjoy!




No comments: