Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What the Hell do they Want?


Some years ago I was sitting in a meeting with a bunch of young people. We try to let them make their minds about activities. The kids were discussing things that they as a group could do, go to a movie, go bowling, play disc golf. There were several options. One of them was sitting in the West of the meeting room came forth with a loud NO! when something was suggested. He effectively stopped all discussion on what several of the young men wanted to do. I had seen this tactic before. One loud person stops everything. I countered the Naysayer in that instance by getting to my feet and explaining that they were allowing one person to dictate the activity which most of them wanted to do. I told them to make a motion for what they wanted to do and then vote on it. If it passed by a majority then they could do it and one person would not stop them from doing something fun.

It seems to me that we are in that same situation in our country right now.

The Limbecks of Wingnuttia are yelling and screaming NO just as loudly as they can. It doesn't matter what any of us want. It doesn't matter what they want because effectively they are like the kid sitting in the West. They don't come up with an alternative. They don't come up with any kind of activity which will move our country forward. They just say NO!

The President made a speech today to the school children of America. For him to through the weight of his office behind encouraging students to work hard and stay in school will do more for the education of our students than all of the "No Child Left Behind" laws which is designed to destroy the public school system. Because you see it is not that they want educated thinkers in our society. They want blind followers (Myrmidons) who will sit back and allow them to hold them down, much as the slaves and black people were held down before and after the Civil War by keeping them from an education.

Some time ago I found myself being critical of things as they were in an organization to which I belong. I was being critical but I was not saying anything about my "vision" for what should be done. So I got a group of leaders together and started them talking about a vision for the organizations and what we could do to improve things. In other words I started something which I hope will lead to improvement in my organizations. I am encouraged by the ideas and leadership which is coming out of this group. We used to use the acronym TEAM for Together Each Accomplishes More for this type of activity. Working together I hope for a new birth of activity and viability. We shall wait and see. But at least we are doing something positive.



The critics of Mr. Obama with their thinly disguised racism disgust me. They offer no workable plan to improve the lives of people in our country. They offer no ideas about how to help the folks who are losing their homes and their savings because of the disastrous economic policies of the last 8 years. They conveniently forget that the No Child Left Behind Law was a windfall for Mr. Bush's cronies in the test making business. They offer no concrete way to improve education in America because they want people who do not know the difference between Youth in Asia or Euthanasia.

No, these people can only come out against things. We have a person who has just announced that he is running for Governor here in Iowa. What does he come out with? He promised at a campaign kickoff in his hometown of Sheldon that he would make social issues such as same-sex marriage central to his campaign. He spent most of his 12-minute speech on hot-button issues, noting his opposition to abortion rights, illegal immigration and expansion of gambling, and his support for gun owners' rights. "I will not walk away from those values when I get to be governor of Iowa," he said (1) Sounds to me like he wants us to go backwards instead of forward. (I did not print his name as I won't give him any publicity)

Then we have the Senior Senator from Iowa who is beginning his campaign for re-election by being against health care reform (something that is badly needed) - I would ask him what he plans to put in place to help people. I think he is in the pocket of the Insurance companies. (Grassley, the Finance Committee’s ranking Republican, received more than $2 million from the health and insurance sectors since 2003.) He won't get my vote next time around. He has become what is known as an obstructionist. In fact, I would ask all of them what they want. What is their plan for America?

Republicans do not seem to think that this country is made up of people. It seems to be all about corporations and big business. For years I taught school. People did not like my Teachers Association (Union) but I will tell you this that I would have had a much lower standard of living if it had not been for the Iowa State Education Association. It was always the Republicans who tried to hold us down and get rid of the important collective bargaining. It used to be that teachers (mostly women) would have to do what the administrators said. Women were not allowed to get married without "permission." Fifty years ago I graduated from Gilbert High School. One of the best teachers which I had was Mrs. Nichols. She had been a teacher in Ames and was fired when she married her husband. And he was a Judge. He was a fine person. No reason why they should have control over who she married. But they did. Women teachers were also paid less than male teachers. For the same work!

There are many other stories I could tell but I do know this that it is because of the progress that the Democratic party made for me as an individual that I am able to even be here today. The health insurance which was negotiated by my Union was a good one and when I went into the hospital with a 600 blood sugar and almost died it was that health insurance that I had (negotiated by my union) that paid for everything. And because I could carry it after I retired until Medicare kicked in I had my ankle fusion operation paid for. Not everyone can say that. but everyone should be able to say that and if those who have so very much money that they do not have to worry about anything have to pay a little bit more so be it. They have enough. I never felt badly when I had to pay taxes because I knew that was the way roads were built and bridges were built and police were hired. Not that I didn't want more money but it was fair for me to pay taxes. I am a part of this country and my vision for the country is:

Everyone going to bed at night safe, secure and well fed. Children receiving the best education that is possible, Elders cared for and loved and no one has to die alone. People have some money to be able to pass on to their children and were able to improve their lot in life. Everyone can love the person of his or her choice, go to the church of their choice (or not go if that is what they want). Religion is in the home and heart and not in the schools or public life but everyone is free to practice his or her own spirituality. People care for each other and no one feels unsafe. There are no hate crimes or prejudice. No child or adult is made to feel "less" but all can reach their own potential . I wrote this poem for my students. It is called Advice. It is the best I can give.

There is that within you that can reach a star...

Find it!

A song no one but you can hear ...

Sing it!

There is that without you that would pull you down ...

Fight it!

A bird doesn't get into trouble unless it flies too low ...

Fly high!

The universe is a question ...

Answer it!


I wish that for our country and the world.

I found this statement by the notorious Mr. Beck. (A comedian turned right wing pundit)

"This game is for keeps, this game is about who controls the United States of America." G. Beck.
He is wrong. This is not a game. A game is something we do for fun. This IS NOT a GAME! This is a battle for the heart and soul of America. I just hope that the people will see that and wake up and stop listening to the Mr. Negatives. Who have no vision for America. Who will not tell us what we should do but will always be able to tell us NO. Let's not let them have their way. Let us get behind a vision and help to see it accomplished. We can do it.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

Alas, people who shout no loud and frequently usually win out.