Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Stolen from Dianne - Do You See What I See.

This is totally stolen from Diane. Not a word changed. It brought joy to my heart and I hope it does to yours also. I have a sister in a wheelchair and people do this sort of thing to her all the time. I have a handicapped tag also but it has not happened so much to me. What I see is perfectly healthy people using someone's handicapped sticker when it is obvious that they aren't handicapped. Anyway enjoy!
by Dianne

I was at the store the other day and watched a woman and her two daughters (I assume they were hers since they were as obnoxious as she was) cut off a van with a handicapped parking permit in order to get the clearly marked spot.

The elderly lady in the van looked as if she were about to cry. I pointed to my car a few spots down and told her she could take my spot, it was next to the cart return and there would be plenty of room to off load her husband's wheelchair.

As I returned from moving my car down she noticed my cane. I had to laugh at the expression on her face. It was part laugh, part horror and part divine wonder. She saw me laughing and she and her husband started to laugh too. She said I shouldn't have given up my spot. I said it was no big deal and asked if they wanted to help me key the car in the handicapped spot. The three of us were laughing out loud as we walked/limped/wheeled toward the store entrance just in time for a patrol car to enter the lot. The officer immediately noticed the wheelchair and asked if we needed help. We pointed to the offending car and watched in pure joy as he got out and began to write the ticket. When I told him how they had cut off the van he decided to wait for the driver.

As we entered the store we saw the terrible trio leaving and we watched the scene from the store window. I did color commentary LOL

The Mom was gesturing and acting indignant. I did see one of the daughters say she was sorry so there's a little bit of hope there.

The last thing the driver saw as she backed out of the spot she wasn't supposed to be in was the 3 of us - the man in the wheelchair smiling, his wife waving and me giving a salute with my cane.

6 comments:

kt.chris said...

My late friend on the railroad suggested doubling the fine and losing the driver's license for thirty days for infractions like these. BTW, what kind of salute did you give with your cane?

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

You will have to ask Dianne that but I can imagine what she did!

Dianne said...

yes jay imagine it LOL

I kinda twisted it up in the air a bit with a Brooklyn flair and supported it with a certain finger
after all I'd hate for it to fall and hurt someone

I agree about the higher fines and stiffer penalties - same goes for driving while on the phone

so many towns have $$$ trouble
instead of taxing us to death let's start actually imposing the fines already in place

thank you Jay!! it is an honor to have you steal from me
you already stole my heart a long time ago :)

Nessa said...

If only this sort of justice occurred more often,.

DonM said...

I have always wanted to make up large stickers (really sticky, practically unremovable ones) that say "Mentally Handicapped" with "Rude, Inconsiderate, and Uncaring" below that. This sticker could then be placed on the windshield of the offending car, right in front of the driver. If it was large enough, opaque enough, and unremovable enough, it would effectively disable the car.

But then I decided that would be unfair to the truly mentally challenged, So I never did it. And yes, I also realized that sometimes you cannot tell if a person getting out of the car is truly disabled in some non-visible way, and merely forgot to put out the tag. Remember, in most states it is actually illegal to drive the car with the tag hanging from the rear view mirror. (It is also illegal in many states to drive with anything hanging from the mirror since it serves as a distraction. But you see it all the time.

kenju said...

I hope someone took the license plate and called the police.