Sunday, September 20, 2009

Forbidden Broadway - StageWest


This afternoon I attended the first production of the new season of StageWest in Des Moines.

Forbidden Broadway

This is not a play but rather a musical review and the songs you hear are not what you may expect. Most of us are familiar with the songs which were sung but not necessarily with the satirical lyrics which we heard. The show has been described as the "Saturday Night Live of Broadway." I disagree. It is funnier.
Here is a sample of one of the songs from the show.



There was only one parody which I (personally) did not like and that was the one making fun of Liza Minnelli. I just thought it wasn't as funny as the others. I also thought the actress was just trying a little too hard and the caricature didn't quite cut it for me. However the rest of the parodies were "spot on." Amy Burgmaier, Craig Peterson, Eric Shepard and Liz Ward made up the four person cast and they are extremely talented and when they parodied Carol Channing, Chita Rivera, Rita Moreno, Barbara Streisand and all of the others they were almost good enough that you thought you were watching the original. I was especially impressed with the Ethel Merman/Phantom of the Opera duet.

The show runs Wednesday through Sunday at the Stoner Theater in the Civic Center through October 4. Well worth the price of admission and I guarantee you will laugh and be entertained.

To see the history of this show which has been running since January 15, 1982 (with many revisions and updates) you can go here.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I love satire when it's done well

Ur-spo said...

I enjoy for a bit and Broadway.
I am told they are no longer being made as the producer feels Broadway is such a satire in itself it is worth satirizing.