Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Honors at the Kennedy Center

Every year there is one night of Television that I refuse to miss. Thank heaven for my DVR as last night was the night and I chose to go to Cedar Rapids. It was the annual broadcast of the Kennedy Center Honors.

Click the above link to go and learn about the honorees.

I stole the photo from another Web Site.

You know we are the luckiest people who have ever lived. We have a plethora of entertainment that we can see almost instantly.

The 2009 Kennedy Center Honorees Robert De Niro, left; Grace Bumbry, bottom left, Dave Brubeck, bottom right; Bruce Springsteen, second from right; and Mel Brooks, right, pose with Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton for a photo at the State Department following the Kennedy Center Honors Gala Dinner on Saturday, Dec. 5, 2009 in Washington. (AP Photo/Kevin Wolf)

This show is very emotional for me. As I watch I am reminded of the great body of work of these artists each year and I can appreciate them all over again. I usually have to sit with some Kleenex close at hand because I get teary eyed watching these people. It was a wonderful show.
Some thoughts"

Robert De Niro - Consummate actor. I think Meet the Faulkers was my favorite movie - just because I like to laugh

Dave Brubeck - I have been a fan for years and years. It was incredible to see his four sons playing for him

Seeing Bruce Springstein doubled over in laughter as Jon Stewart paid tribute to him and then to see the emotions on his face when the author of Born on the 4th of July spoke was truly moving.

Grace Bumbry - wow, I guess you know I love opera and to hear her voice and story was wonderful. I think also the fact that she sang to Marian Anderson when she was honored by the Kennedy Center in 1978 was an amazing story.

And then there is Mel Brooks. Brooks is one of only 10 people who have won Academy, Emmy, Grammy, and Tony Awards. I think the fact that he is willing to take on things that we don't always consider funny makes his edgy humor all the more funny to me. Adolf Hitler, the Inquisition, and racism - Not normally humorous but Brooks had the talent to make us laugh at some pretty awful things and that made them less horrifying. If you can laugh at something it loses power over you.

It was also nice to see the President and Mrs. Obama watching and reacting and genuinely enjoying themselves. There was no smug superiority smirk on this president's face. I genuinely like her and want to like him. If he would just be the man he pretended to be when he was running for office. But then I guess most politicians are like that.

It was a wonderful show and thanks to the DVR I did not have to really watch the commercials. That was copacetic. Thanks for stopping by. Hugs, j

2 comments:

kenju said...

I have always wanted to be in the theater to see that show live, but I guess that will never happen. I think this one was one of the best I can ever remember. Dave Brubeck has had me as his biggest fan since I first heard Take Five and Blue Rondo a la Turk in 59 or 60, and Mel Brooks has given us so much pleasure and laughter over the years. I don't have a DVR, but if I had that show - I'd watch it often!!

Ginny Jackson said...

I always watch the show and no I had better not call you! This years show was one of my favorites. I loved all the genuine emotions that no one was afraid to hide!