Saturday, December 26, 2009

Sherlock Holmes

I remember reading the Sherlock Holmes books when I was much younger. The Sherlock Holmes movies of the past did not impress me very much but this one did.

Robert Downey, Jr makes a wonderful Holmes and Jude Law is the perfect foil as Dr. Watson.

For those familiar with the books there are touches throughout the movie that will recall them to mind but you do not need to have ever read one of the stories to enjoy this film. They even has a quasi-masonic group The Temple of the four Orders which reminded me of Lodge.

Downey's Holmes is edgy and physical and a real action hero. Watson keeps up with him. This is not the cerebral Holmes of former movies with a somewhat dodgy Watson. This is a satisfying movie that does appeal to the intellect and keeps you guessing and also keeps you awake with action and adventure. I enjoyed it very much and think you will also.

There are currently three other movies playing that I want to see so I may go to one tomorrow also

3 comments:

kenju said...

Mr. kenju is a Sherlock fan from way back, so he's looking forward to seeing this.

Dianne said...

it has gotten good word of mouth
I have a list of movies I want to see as well

I really enjoyed the Christmas slideshow down below, beautiful scenes and decor and food and people and furry ones :)

DonM said...

This is not Holmes and Watson the way Sir Arthur wrote them, nor the way I always envisioned them, but it is durned entertaining. Just enough references to the Doylish aspects to keep the interest of the more traditional minded, and more than enough action and special effects to entertain the modern viewer.

At least the Masonic seeming group was not overplayed,nor were most of its members shown as sinister. Of course there were a few who were not faithful to the true idea of the group...

Fun movie. Pay attention, though. Many of the clues are not at all obvious. This is one I plan to buy on DVD when it comes out.