Thursday, July 15, 2010

Distracted

Most of the readers of this blog know that I have been "Doctoring" - so much fun. I have an ulcer on the bottom of my large right toe. My foot doctor, a wonderful man unlike another foot doctor I could, but won't, name, has been talking me into having surgery done on the toe to remove a small spur from the bottom of the toe.

I finally decided it was time. I mean two years (or more) of not healing and little blood spots on the floor it was time. So before he would do the surgery I had to see my primary care doctor for a pre-surgery physical. He did an EKG and found a bundle blockage... that is heart folks. My grandmother used to say "that is a long way from your heart" for problems (Either that or "I've had that lots of time." but that is another story.) So this was my heart. And if you know me you know that I have been depressed and distracted. Aside from the Baileymeister waking me at all hours to go outside I have just been waking up unable to shut my head off. Generally worrying about the upcoming surgery and then fussing about the heart.

So yesterday I went to see the foot Doctor and got all of the pre and post instructions. (I almost said forget it) and a prescription for some Rush Limburger pills which I do not want to take but one never knows. I have not really wanted to be around people much but I did go down to the Meet and Greet and Scottish Rite Officer's meeting. (I am not an officer but I take the notes for the meeting) and enjoyed that but I am staying home tonight because time got away from me.

I saw the Cardiologist today
and it was a good meeting but he wanted me to have an>Echo cardiograph (Ultrasound of the Heart) So I had to go back at 4:00. In between times I went up to see a good brother who has been having some health challenges and had lost his AOL account. So I went up to see him and helped him get fixed up with a Gmail account. I think I left him happy to be reconnected. Ken was 84 last year and still riding in RAGBRAI. He is not able to ride this year but he is still going. He will ride in the Van. Amazing.

Anyway I had the ultrasound (It's a boy!) but I have not gotten the results - but it was rather interesting to lay there on my side and have this young lady rub me all over with a warm to hot instrument (and to hear my heart beat). In the meantime I wait and the surgery is still on. After that I will be hobbling around for 4 to 6 weeks. Stay tuned.