Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Sorcerer's Apprentice




The best thing about the new Sorcerer's Apprentice was the leather coat that Nicholas Cage wore. It was classy.

One of the reviews I read for The Sorcerer's Apprentice finished its review of this, mostly forgettable, movie with this statement.

But at least this movie provides two helpful services. It's a reminder of just how well the Harry Potter movies work, with their genuine sense of personality, wonder and mystery. And it's much, much better than The Last Airbender.



I am afraid that I agree. Of course I remember the 1940 version of this story from the movie Fantasia which enthralled me as a youngster. And the cartoon characters in that film were more believable than the ones in this "modern" version. Of course I am not a fan of Nicholas Cage and found the young man playing the apprentice annoying. Roger Ebert's review is here.

And for those who like such things I found out something I had not known. The movies are based on a poem by Goethe Der Zauberlehrling I will have to say that I did enjoy some of the special effects but not enough to make me recommend this film.

No comments: