Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Out of Jail

These are Quillows. They are quilts which fold up into a pillow. The Worshipful Master and his wife and others made them for the Hope Lodge in Iowa City. I took this picture before the surgery and forgot it was in the camera. It is a neat project and the Masons have been raising money for it for the past three years.
Theresa and Dave gave me these green tomatoes so I could have some Fried Green Tomatoes. I love them. But the real reason for this post was to show you what I did after I had my toe re-bandaged. I had been stuck in the house for a little over a week and I had to pick up a prescription so I took the country road north to go to the pharmacy. First went past the horse farm
Then down the hill to what my aunt's used to refer to as "Grandpa's bottom. Rich bottom land that does a good job growing our Iowa corn.
We recently had a bad storm which did some pruning of the trees in our area.
There is a wonderful old farm that I love to photograph. Rusty windmill on the left and
dilapidated barn on the right.
A tree that has been taken over by a vine. Reminds me of the Kudzu that we saw on one of our southern road trips.
Clumps of trees.
Cattle grazing
Great clouds.
Roadside lilies
Purple cone flowers
Roadside woods.

I don't remember the names of these.
Addendum. Identified in the comments by Dave S. Thanks Dave.
More clouds.
And of course, the river with a sandbar.
And then back in town where they are working on Grand Avenue. From 13th Street to 6th Street we have two lane roads. The side streets are all blocked off so you can't turn off or do anything except stop at the 9th Street stop light which was NOT turned off and made all of us stop and wait while nothing was happening. And the cross street was blocked and the traffic backed up all the way both ways and not moving. Made so much sense.
Just dumb!
Thanks for stopping by. j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jay - The unknown white cluster blossoms were known in Northeast Iowa as "Queen Anne's Lace" when I was a growing boy. Dave