Saturday, November 27, 2010

Dawn Variations by Bob Kelly

Saturday morning, November 27, I woke up early and since I was up, I chose to go out and photograph the sunrise (hoping there would be one worth shooting!). The first shot was a bit disappointing as it was nothing more than a narrow band of light orange color with a thick cloud bank on top of it. I waited a bit, and when I looked again, the bottom of the cloud bank had reddish tinges along its lower edge.

That was an indicator that a fireball sun was about to pop up. I waited a bit more and I saw just the tip of the fiery sphere, and I quickly rushed a mile or so down the gravel road to incorporate a windmill into the shot as more of the sun peeked over the horizon.
I then went down the road some more, and by the time I saw a silo and a grain bin that I wanted to be in the shot, the full sun was out, and peeking out from behind a grove of trees. In a period of eleven minutes I had captured four variations of the morning sunrise, and it was a wrap.
By then I had earned some breakfast so I hit McD's and continued shooting some other landscapes I had on my agenda. So far this season we have not had any snow on the ground to drastically alter the contrast of sunrise or sunsets, or landscape images, but fear not....it will be here soon!

No comments: