Tuesday, November 30, 2010

just sayin'

Well, I decided I don't like rum. I bought a bottle of Dark Rum and tried it last night. I will offer it to my nephew who likes rum. To me it tastes like medicine. So it will go from my shelf. That is if he ever comes over. I haven't seen him for ages and I did suggest that it was time for Cassie's litter to be changed.

Brandon is coming over tomorrow morning to fix the linoleum in the kitchen. Miles chewed it up last June. Brandon has been busy and he has done some other things but this has been on his list for quite awhile. That means I have to get dressed before he comes over. Jeesh.

I got my hairscut this morning so I look as good as an old bald man can. I always enjoy my time at His n' Hers. They do good work. While I was there I picked up an Iowa State Daily and read it. I discovered that the Daily has a column called Just Sayin' where students write in with a short sentence or two. It was fun to read but I figured I had better post on hear that my "just sayin'" did not come from the Daily.

HyVee has some hamburgers which they call Filet Mignon burgers. I had one this evening for supper and it was really good. I fry it in butter and then I took two slices of Italian Bread and made a grilled hamburger by buttering the bread and toasting it. I used to get these at Frango's restaurant on Main Street.

Thanks for stopping by. Hugs, j

3 comments:

DonM said...

Meat + Butter + MORE BUTTER + Bread + Heat. Yummy! Tasty and healthy to boot. Fat IS one of the essential food groups, along with salt.

I saw that Fareway had whole NY strip(or KC strip, depending on your syntactical and geographical preferences) steak roasts for $4.99 per pound. I was thinking about buying one, slicing a couple of really thick steaks out of the middle, and running the rest through the meat grinder. Or possibly chilling some of it in the freezer, then cutting a few really thin slices with my slicer, then chopping it for Philly steak sandwiches(more geographically identified foodstuffs.

Jay, I presume you tried the rum on ice per my suggestion. If you didn't like that, try it without the ice. It will be sweeter, and perhaps will not taste like medicince to you. Or perhaps you could have a glass of an Islay Scotch prior to having the rum, after which nothing could possibly taste mediciney.

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

No islay Scotch. That is worse than anything.

As to the Butter - I use Irish butter from Costco and it has no calories because it is imported....

As to the Rum. I doubt I will ever like it. I did try it over the ice. I think it was the smell that put me off. That is all right there are plenty of other adult Beverages to sample. I have two bottles of Bush's Black, One Belvine (15 year) and others on hand. I will survive.

DonM said...

I'm sure there are those who would take offense at your "worse than anything" characterization of Islay Scotch. But then, I think that is where I was leading with my suggestion. Actually, I don't "hate" it, and suspect I could even develop a taste for it, but I have enough expensive tastes as is without intentionally cultivating more.

I like that Irish Butter claim. I wonder if my doctor would agree with that. But then, what does she know? I am older and wiser than she. (Well, older anyway.)