Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday Salute XXX

From Wikipedia

Sally Margaret Field(born November 6, 1946) is an American actress, singer, producer, director, and screenwriter. In each decade of her career, she has been known for major roles in American TV/film culture

During her 2007 acceptance speech for her 2006-07 Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series, Field made an anti-war statement: "If the mothers ruled the world, there would be no goddamn wars in the first place!" Though the crowd present at the Emmy Awards heard it, viewers watching the telecast in the United States only heard "if mothers ruled the world there would be no ...", due to the censoring of the rest of the statement (in the rest of the world, her remark was not bleeped). In the 2008 presidential election, she supported Hillary Clinton in her bid for the Democratic Party nomination.
Field is also a dedicated advocate for women's rights. She currently serves on the Board of Directors of Vital Voices Global Partnership, an international women's NGO, and has co-hosted the Global Leadership Awards six times.  ...
Field suffers from osteoporosis and has become a vocal advocate for women's health issues, encouraging early diagnosis of such conditions through technology, such as bone density scans.
It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else's eyes.

I was raised to sense what someone wanted me to be and be that kind of person. It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else's eyes.

My agent said, 'You aren't good enough for movies.' I said, 'You're fired.'

But there isn't any second half of myself waiting to plug in and make me whole. It's there. I'm already whole.

Change is never easy.

I came from a real working-class show business family.

I have never been beautiful in cliche terms.

I really have no ulterior motive in taking on certain roles. I have no larger issue that I really want to show people. I'm an actor, that's all. I just do what I do.

I think that's very sad, that I haven't allowed my heart to be broken. I have broken a few.

I was just lucky enough to grow up in a time when they actually had drama departments in schools.

If I hadn't fought back, I might have been Gidget forever.

There are parts of me that I feel are beautiful, but they don't have anything to do with my nose.

There was really a snobbery from people in film - they did not want people who had come from television. It was the poor relation of show business, and especially situation comedy.

When you're old, you are more certain of who you are, and that may be a good thing or a bad thing.


Sally was on Brothers and Sisters one of my favorite (now cancelled) shows and she played the mother.  I think that it was type casting for her because one of her real life roles is that of mother to three sons.  I honor her with a Sunday Salute as the representative of all mothers.

I recently saw this clip of Sally Field receiving HRC; Ally For Equality Award and heard her (gay) son introduce her and then listened to her talk about him and raising him.  Her words resonated with me and I wish that all gay children could have as loving and supportive a parent as Sally Field.

I’ve never talked about this before, it’s Sam’s business and not mine to talk about.  But I’m here tonight for two reasons. There are so many children who struggle to understand and embrace their sexuality in families who do not welcome them, with parents that somehow find it acceptable to shut them out their hearts and their homes.  And that I find unacceptable.




Previous Salutes

 Sean Penn       Beverly Sills  Jimmy Carter 
Ellen DeGeneres  Edward "Ted" Kennedy  Paul Newman
Michelle Obama  Audrey Hepburn     Princess Diana    Harry S Truman   
John Shelby Spong  Nelson Mandella     Rachael Maddow   Matt Damon  
Jehan Sadat   Jane Goodall    Mohandas Gandhi  
 Eleanor Roosevelt    Lyndon B. Johnson      Michelle Obama
Helen Hayes   Marion Wright Edelman     Bishop Gene Robinson
Bishop Desmond Tutu       Rachel Carson          Helen Keller
Martin Luther King, Jr          Dalai Lama         Dag Hammarskjold

2 comments:

Harpers Keeper said...

I have never seen Brothers and Sisters. I should check it out

Harpers Keeper said...

I have never seen Brothers and Sisters. I should check it out