Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Quote for today and a rant

Ted Olson's first wife died on 9/11. He is a Conservative and he says:

"...we don’t want to turn an act of hate against us by extremists into an act of intolerance for people of religious faith. And I don’t think it should be a political issue."



You know the only thing I find intolerable is intolerance. In the home I grew up in one of my grandparents was a democrat and the other a republican. They cancelled each other's vote every year but they both voted and participated in our republic. They were married to each other for over 50 years, raised 6 girls and were (along with my mother) the foundation of my values. They would not understand the way things have become in this country. They helped people who were less fortunate. My grandmother had an antique shop and there were a couple of men who I now know were gay who regularly came to the shop to buy and sell antiques from and to her. She never treated them any different than any other customer. They never discussed another's religion or color. They were shining examples to all who knew them and the intolerance I see today would baffle them as it does me.

When I read the stories in the Bible about how the Master dealt with people there was no one outside His love. The Samaritan Woman, the woman taken in adultery, the Centurion who wanted his servant (lover some say) healed, the poor widow who gave her mite to the Temple...the list goes on and on. Later I read in Acts the verse ...
"Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons but in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.:"
No one was outside the fold, no one was condemned. All were worthy of and welcome to His Love. That is the Master I try to follow. America needs to return to the principles of acceptance and toleration. At least that is my opinion.

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

fat chance of this happening, I am afraid.
but it can start with us.

Anonymous said...

Count me in on this one, Jay. The growth of intolerance in the past few years is frightening. I, for one, think a lot of it can be attributed to the hate spewed forth on a daily basis by "talk radio"...I was a broadcaster when there was a sense of responsibility and true community service. I now find myself ashamed of the direction taken by my lifetime career field.