Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tuesday Diary


I need a job. Something to get me out of the house. Today and yesterday I spent most of my time at home reading blogs, responding to e-mails and messing around. I also paid bills.. Oh I let the dogs in and out.and I took a nap. I also worked on my novel (the one I am reading not the one I am writing) Such important work.

I called Jon up to see if he wanted to eat supper and we went out to Battle's Bar B Que. While we were there we looked out the front window and someone had set the trash on fire. There was a white car parked near it and I watched as the intelligent (NOT) young man backed his car closer to get a better look. He sat there for a short while and then pulled across the street so he could watch. He made no attempt to do anything about the fire. I mentioned it to our server and about a minute later the guys from the kitchen came out carrying buckets of water. They were followed a minute later by the waitress. The three of them went out and put the fire out. I thought perhaps that someone would come in the front door and steal the cash register but there was no such drama.

We ate our meals and had a nice visit. About 8 minutes later we watched as two firemen ambled up from the fire station about a block away. One had a bucket of water and the other a fire extinguisher. They proceeded to pour the bucket of water on the fire and then strolled back tot he fire station. That is about all the excitement I had today. I did go up to Walgreens to pick up a prescription. They send me an e-mail when my drugs are ready and I just have to go up and pick them up.

OH YES one other thing. This was propitious. As I was leaving the Bar B Que I stopped in at the Cyclone Liquors and asked if they had any Iowa Bourbon. They had one bottle. Iowa Bourbon is made by the Cedar Ridge Distillery near Swisher Iowa.

It is described as:

"Iowa's first bourbon since the Prohibition era. Made from nearly 75% corn, Cedar Ridge Bourbon Whiskey is crafted in small batches in our European-engineered 80-gallon pot still for a high-quality, smooth, premium bourbon that is receiving rave reviews at tasting events across the Country."

My friend John gave me a bottle of it and I was hoarding it. Wasn't going to share it with anyone. It is the nicest smoothest bourbon I have ever tasted. Now that I have another bottle I might share. I understand that their Dark Aged Rum is also superlative. I shall have to try it. Don said it is aged in Templeton Rye casks. Iowa is fortunate in the Spirits we produce. Absolutely wonderful. It is a good thing I limit my consumption.

Oh yes I picked up a fly swatter and proved the veracity of a couplet I wrote many years ago.

I have discovered the one place where flies are not.
And that is around me when a swatter I've got.

Now I have a mosquito in my bedroom. Bit me during the night. Little bastard....oh wait it is the females who bite. Makes her a Sheila. (Sheila is also a colloquial term for a girl or woman in Australia.)

Thanks for stopping by, Hugs, j

Addendum - Wednesday Morning

Read this article about Race To The Top. Then tell me.

I would like for someone to explain to my humble brain why education should be a competition. We need to bolster those states who are most disadvantaged in this so called "Race to the Top." Just like "No child Left Behind." Politicos do not understand the fundamental nature of education where you help every (underline that) child to do her or his best! Unfunded schools will keep driving nails in America's coffin.

2 comments:

DonM said...

Since Templeton makes so many gazillion barrels of Rye each year, and have been doing so for so many years, I find it hard to believe that there are really very many of their barrels to be used for aging rum. But... that is what they told me at Cedar Ridge, so I suppose it is true. Perhaps they are left over barrels from the years of prohibition.

John said...

Or maybe they bought some from the Capone family's garage sale...?

They told me the same thing about the barrels at Cedar Ridge and at Benz's. What I DO know for sure is how tasty that dark rum is. It comes in the same kind of bottle the bourbon arrives in.

Templeton AND Cedar Ridge bourbon should be available about Sept. 1. The Templeton web site says they only released a couple of hundred bottles state-wide during May, June, July, and August--but 2,000 bottles of Templeton Rye are slated to come into retail in September.

Just in time for Grand Lodge!