Monday, January 10, 2011

Saturday Shots

 Three shots taken Saturday on my way back from Des Moines.




I had to go to the store this afternoon.  Even though it has begun to snow.  I needed bread. So I went to Fairway and while I was there I got the "fixings" for chili.  I don't think I have ever made Chili before.  I used my Cousin Tom's recipe.  He always made the Chili or mother or somebody else.  It is a simple recipe and not difficult but it is really good.


I am amazed at how many things I cook begin with browned hamburger and onions.  This chili did also.  Among the other things I fix are 1) Sloppy Joe's (add Chicken Gumbo soup, ketchup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. 2) Lasagna and Spaghetti. It was fun and turned out pretty well, except that it probably isn't spicy enough for most people but I like it mild.  Here is the recipe. 



4 lbs      Ground chuck
1 large  Onion, chopped
3 cans   Tomatoes
3 cans   Chili beans
1 large can  Tomato juice
                   Garlic salt
                   Chili powder

Procedure
1   In large sauce pan mix all the ingredients.
2   Bring to boil.
Simmer until thickened.


It will be better tomorrow.  It is always better the second day.  


Thanks for stopping by, Be gentle with one another - cherish your friendships, Hugs, j

3 comments:

Anna said...

Ever tried making chili with venison? My mom does and it is pretty good. Chili with beef tastes weird now, haha.

Ur-spo said...

I love making chili - I have several recipes
Why does chili taste better on the 2nd day?

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Because the flavors have a chance to meld together and join to make something new.