Monday, January 31, 2011

just sayin'

Blog Traffic
Back in September I posted an article about Bishop Sprong being honored.  I had someone try to place a comment on it the other day and I rejected the comment because it was disrespectful to a person I admire.  My Blog, my rules.  Then someone else tried the same thing.  And then the counter was almost spinning off the axle. It outperformed my friend John's speech which was the #1 post until yesterday.  I followed the link back to something called Stand For Faith which is an Episcopalian Blog (I think) for people who claim to be Christian.  At least more Christian than the Bishop. (I should have monetized the blog. I would be rich)


They are the type of person that cause me to identify as a "Church Alumni"  In my heart I am a Christian but not the type of Christian who would write some of the comments I read on the blog.  I thought about taking the post down but decided not to.  I will just let them stew in their own juices, hoist their own petards and perhaps it will make them happy to write on their own blog.  The Bishop is more of a Christian than any of them  - and more of a gentleman.  I did not leave a comment on their blog nor did I stay long there.  I just read a few of them and since they made me feel dirty I got out of there and went and took a shower.


Ginny
 Ginny and I went to the Mandarin for lunch today.  We had a good visit. Of course I forgot some things I was going to take her.  But I remembered the others and they were the important things. I got some Hot and Sour Soup, egg rolls and Fried Wonton.  Appetizer lunch but it filled me up and I was able to bring half the soup home.


Staples


 Then I had to run to Staples to get some paper, ink and labels so I headed off to Staples.  I know I shared what Miles had done to my dues cards case.  I had looked all over to find a replacement for it to no avail. The leather place in Valley West Mall had nothing.  Not even a wallet I could use.  but I found this at Staples.

You have to look closely to see it but the Knights Templar Card was "chewed by Miles"

Carol Channing

Today is her 90th Birthday.  I understand that she belongs to the Christian Science Faith. Which is the one I still believe has the best understanding of "what it is all about."  Anyway 90 is a pretty great age.  There is an interview with her here.
Happy Birthday Miss Channing.

Brandon

I am having difficulty getting up and down.  My knees do not have the strength they once had. I cannot get out of my recliner as it is to low.  Have trouble getting up from other chairs also.  I had Brandon come over and he is going to build me a platform to put the chair on to raise it up so I won't have so much trouble getting up to let the dogs out.

Sloppy Joes

I made a batch of Sloppy Joes for supper tonight.  From the Family Cookbook.
1 can     Chicken Gumbo soup
1 lb.      Ground beef
1 tsp     Prepared mustard
¼  cup    Catsup
3  T       Onions, chopped
             Buns

Procedure
1   Brown ground beef.
2   Drain.
3   Add onions, soup, mustard and catsup.
4   Simmer until thick.
Serve on buns.


I don't put in the mustard.  I put a bunch of Worcestershire sauce instead.  Then I let it simmer and usually put cheese on it. 

So now we are hunkering down to enjoy the snow and blizzard that are promised for this evening.  A couple of Sloppy Joes and a few chips as soon as I finish my Iowa bourbon.  

Have a great evening. Stay warm and cherish your friends while you still have them. Hugs.


3 comments:

Anna said...

Have you considered using one of those motorized recliners that helps you up? Both my grandpas had them and I always found it fun to sit in them and go up and down. :)

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Eastern Star used to have one we loaned out to members. I don't know what happened to it and I am to cheap to buy one. They are pretty expensive and I just got the recliner this year.

John said...

Since so many ding-a-ling "Christians" want to criticize Bishop Spong, let me sing his praises--and I read him regularly.

Bishop Spong is one of the most insightful and eloquent Christians alive today. If his own communion listened more carefully to what he says--all of it based firmly in holy writ, by the way--that communion would have many fewer problems than it has today.

However, and most particularly in this case, a prophet in his own land is without honor.