Monday, August 1, 2011

Another sighting of Trumpeter Swans - Photos by Bob Kelly

It is amazing to realize that a decade ago the Trumpeter Swan was on an endangered species list, and now they are flourishing all over the Midwest where marsh lands can be found. Farmers are voluntarily turning potentially wet ground into a marsh area with some environmental funding assistance, and with the restocking of the species in places, the numbers are increasing dramatically.
 As I drove by a marsh south west of Ogden, I thought I saw a white object in the algae covered water.  I stopped and sure enough it was a Trumpeter Swan.  He was guarding and patrolling the area where his mate was standing nearby.
The female was standing up on a mound of some sort, stretching her neck up to see what was happening.  I thought I saw some smaller heads for an instant but then they were not there.  I thought....just maybe......and sure enough soon I saw three head bobbing around next to Mother.
With Dad in the front, and Mom bringing up the rear, the three cygnets lined up as they had been trained to do, and the whole family paddled about thirty feet to the right and disappeared behind some reeds.  I was happy I could see them, and their cygnets are looking very healthy.  It was a fun and memorable happening!

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

pretty birds !

Anonymous said...

You were in the right place at the right time. Glad you had your camera with you.!!